So I have a dilemma

Treezer8

Reefing newb
Ok bare with me, here's my situtation.

i have a 30gal tank that has been running for exactly 1 year.
It contains: (fish wise)
2 Ocellaris clownfish (one lives in a RBTA)
Watchmen Goby
Yellow tang(I got it when it was a baby, and now has grown a little bit and It's going to the bigger tank)
Cleaner Shrimp
And they're all doing extremely well

I got a free 75gal tank a long time ago, and about a month ago I first got it running.
It contains:(fish wise)
Royal gamma---He has been doing outstanding, he was my test fish. Been there for about 9-10days. eats everything I give him, no signs of stress

That's the only fish, rest is a big CUC for some hair algae I was getting that grew out of the substrate(urchins, nudibranch, snails)

Here's my question

The 75gal has been ready for fish for a while, all the levels are perfect except the alkalinity is a little low.

All the fish, corals, and liverock that are in the 30gal are moving in the 75gal.

I'm not ready to put all the corals in, or the anemone, because I'm scared at the alk levels, but the fish are my concern now.

What is the best way to make the exchange from their 30gal home, to the 75gal?
The tanks are literally 1ft away from eachother. I would like to change the fish asap, because I believe my nitrate problem in that tank is the amount of livestock I have.
Also, will the clownfish get stressed if I take it away from its anemone? Should I just take the tang out for now? I just don't want to lose any of them =\, but I want the tang to be in a bigger home. He's still very small, but it's going to be a while until I can get him into a bigger tank.

I will not be adding ANY other fish into that 75gal, I only want the fish that I currently own. Maybe down the line in a few months I might add a small fish or a mandarin.

I'd personally transfer the tang and goby over to the 75gal for now (and acclimate them using the drip method)...and leave the clowns in there with the anemone and corals. Once you're ready to transfer the inverts and corals over, then you can switch the clowns over. This way, nobody gets stressed and you allow your new tank some time to adjust to the new bioloads.

I'd personally transfer the tang and goby over to the 75gal for now (and acclimate them using the drip method)...and leave the clowns in there with the anemone and corals. Once you're ready to transfer the inverts and corals over, then you can switch the clowns over. This way, nobody gets stressed and you allow your new tank some time to adjust to the new bioloads.

Definitely, I agree.
I don't want to add everything at once and risk it
I will try to get the tang in there, but I haven't the slightest clue on how I'm going to catch that goby. All he does is make my sandbed uneven and hide in his cave when I deal with the tank

If your goby is shy you might just have to move him over after you've removed the rock from that tank. I'd focus on the tang first.

Just put the tang in. Drip acclimated him for about almost 4 hours. He seems ok so far..
Just a question, do tangs change color if stressed or not feeling well?
It might have just been the lighting that I had on, but his body looked a different color than the normal yellow.

Yes...when they're stressed, they seem to turn pale.

I made the move as easy as possible..And his body did seem to have a pale color to it..
Maybe he's still in shock or something, but if I get home tomorrow and he isn't acting normal, I'll put him back in the 30gal. I'm not sure what could be wrong with him though. Just the stress from the move I guess

I wouldn't stress over it. It's actually normal for them to do that...especially whenever you move them. It's kinda like a camouflage mechanism they have.

Good news!

Got home today, and the tang looked awesome. Got his color back, and he ate like a fat pig.

He's also swimming around enjoying his new home :)

Back