So, I'm scared and think im ready, Double check me.

Well, a 55 gallon tank comes in standard dimensions, so unless you spend the cash to get one custom made in the dimensions you need, you will probably have to look for something other than a 55.

A 55 is too small for a blue tang, even a small blue tang. They have different requirements than other fish. The swim constantly and have a very high metabolism, so they need a long tank to go back and forth. They also are very sickly and are disease magnets. Definitely not a good choice for a tank that size, unless you don't mind them spreading disease to all your other fish.

Canister filters do not work well for saltwater tanks. You are better off just getting a high quality protein skimmer. A protein skimmer in conjunction with live rock will be such better filtration than any canister filter. Canister filters tend to lead to poor water quality over time, which will make it very difficult for you to keep inverts like urchins and shrimp alive. Urchins and shrimp do not tolerate high nitrates, and that's exactly what canister filters tend to produce.

Oh, and do go with sand substrate. It's by far the best option.

what if i use it for carbon balls and keep it clean tho? can it push uphill back to my tank? What living stuff belongs in a sump? Any tanks of decent size with less width? even 6" less would work.

BTW im the kind of guy with a schedule and already have a ledger ready for when i get started. Very organized and anal about things. Like Every wednesday after dinner is check the tank time, top off, correct. Sunday, YAY rebuild/clean time. I slack by no means. "DUDE, come party, bring the kid, my wife volunteered to be DBS (designated baby sitter)" Actually i think i'm going to go buy a 6 pack and tear my pumps, filters, and sump down and rebuilding them just for the sake of doing so. I rebuilt my car engine for the sake of learning how.

Back