So I'v Heard

JBReef

Reefing newb
OK I'v heard from the grape vine that I can build a homedepot light for real cheep.

The problem is I can't really find a DIY on it.

I know I would have to build a hood, but when I'm buying the fixtures will any 48" double sided light work and I just replace the bulbs or how does that part work?

Sorry a little info: I have a 55 gal. I'm turning from FW to a Reef I have a few friends helping me out who run SW but they all have the money to blow.

Any help on what fixtures to buy and bulbs, pictures, rough estamate on price anything really.

Also when I clean out my tank from FW should I clean it with anything or just a good scrub down with a facecloth and a rince?

Thanks again!!
-JoshB- NEWB

hello and welcome!!...im no expert either but here are some usefull articles to get you started..and ill help you a lot..in no time this thread will be crowded of experts giving you advice!!!
Beginning Saltwater Aquaria

Beginners Guide

Equipment Needed To Set Up A Reef System

Reef Lighting

ligthing is very important to your system, first, check what you really want for your tank, that way you can buy the ligthning system suitable for it...also for cleaning your tank , vinegar is a good choice, also a bit of salt, that way no harmfull chemical residue will be added to your tank...good luck ..have fun!!!

I can't help you out with your lights question, but like Rigo said, use some vinegar to clean out your old tank and rinse it well. Welcome to the site, and feel free to ask any questions you come up with!

If your wanting to build your own DIY light,then you'd probably come out cheaper to get yourself a retro kit.Not only do you have to have the right bulb,but the right ballast.
Its the ballast that runs the price up.

Go to a lighting warehouse to buy the DIY stuff for you lights. They will calculate everything out for you and even tell you how to wire it.

Well If the bulbs are the bigpart of lights could I buy bulbs for my regular 48" hood that could grow coral?

Well If the bulbs are the bigpart of lights could I buy bulbs for my regular 48" hood that could grow coral?

I try to explain this with it making sense.

The lights you have sound like normal output(NO) florescents.For a fish only or fish only with live rock,this is fine.You may even be okay with a few low light corals like mushrooms.NO fixtures from HD and Lowes won't do you any good.A retro kit(reflectors,wiring,ballast) is the way to go but they are not that much cheaper than a complete fixture.

Here's the list of choices;
NO flourescents---------fish only,FOWLR(possibly schrooms,zooanthids)
Power Compacts(PC)----Softies,many LPS(large polyp stony)corals
Very High Output(VHO)--Softies,LPS,some clams(Derasa)
T5-HO------------------softies,LPS,clams,anemones,SPS(note:some SPS may need to be place higher depending on depth of the tank)
Medal Hallides(MH)------same as T5 with less issue on tank placement of SPS(note;softies may need to be kept low from getting burned.)

Thats just a general guideline-there are always exception to the rule
good luck.

i have looked into that too JB reef. home depot or lowes doesn't sell balast with enough output. they are all for 35 or 40 watt lights. and the cost isn't any cheaper than the 100 watt t-5 retro's. i think you can get the retro's from doctors foster and smith for 125 bucks.

Lights and ballast kits typically available from Home Depot are not suited to the needs of a salt water tank (unless it's fish only). For any type of coral you'll need more intense lighting. I recommend HelloLights. And if anyone tells you that it's impossible to grow SPS in VHO only tanks, they're mistaken. While my frag tank has a MH bulb, my main tank has 4 VHOs and my coral are extremely fast growing and beautiful.
Neuro

What can I keep in the 432 that I wouldn't be able to put at the top of a 216? And how much of a different is the T-5 then the T-5HO? and is there a big heat difference?

The difference is that the 216 watt fixture only has 4 bulbs while the 432 has 8.NO T-5s only use 39 watts of power to burn while the T-5HO use 54.
I dont think that there would be enough of difference in heat to matter.I'm running the 432 watt fixture on my 75 and there is 0 heat transfer from the lights.

The only company that makes T5 normal output I believe is Coralife.Stick with T5-HO at least.Sorry Yote and Biff,its time for me to stop plugging Current Nova's.Don't get me wrong,its still a great fixture.A 216w with individual reflectors is comparable or maybe even better than the 432w Nova's.Look into the Tek 4-6 bulbs fixture or even better the 5 bulb TX-5 Aquactinics.Both have individual reflectors which helps penetrate the deepest parts of a tank.

How cheap can you REALLY make a light? By the time you buy the fixture, ballast, lights, wiring and build a hood for it--seams to me it's not worth the trouble.

Look at ebay. I just picked up a 130w PC for $86 last night and it's only a month old.

There's a ton of stuff in the 48" size. All kinds of lights from PC, MH, moon lights, and combinations of the three.

Here is a link to current ebay auctions in the 48" size:
eBay - 48 items on eBay.com

Back