So, Should I get a Mantis...

Ctimpson

Reefing newb
I know the answer to this is probably yes, but here is the deal... My buddy who has a wholesaler license went to pick up my harlequins, however they sold him mantis shrimp instead of harlequins... I don't really have room for another tank, except for in my stand, but I could put a 10 gallon next to my bed... What should I do? Here is the other thing, I don't have a QT, so should I just make the 10 gallon a QT tank instead of a mantis tank, OR should I make the 10 gallon for my Harlequin shrimp which he should pick up tomorrow for me? One more question, if I did put up another tank, should I get a HOB filter or would LR and a powerhead suffice?

Last edited:
Do you really want a mantis tank next to the bed?Make sure its an acrylic tank,they can break those thin glass.

Harlequin shrimp in a 10g,sounds like to much waste.What do I know,never had one.

Mantis or QT?Thats really your decision.I do know a QT is more important.I would use HOB filter for whichever you choose,there's going to be very little rocks for biological fitration.

I agree with Reef about needing an HOB filter. I have not used a QT in my hobby experience. I use the fish store and their copper treated tanks as my QT. it seems to work OK. In fact, I just ordered two unique angelfish that are sitting there through the Holidays.

I would go with a mantis tank. they are unique and sounds like that is what you want anyway

-Doc

flojo, there are a few mantis videos running around the forum somewhere. If you are interested do some looking and you can see some pretty cool feeding vids

-Doc

yeah I was already watching them...its freaking insane. there's the one with no music and you can hear it just slamming the crab...nature is pretty incredible...but I'm always up for new vids:)

Back