so you want to buy stock at petco!

Ted

Living one day at a time
Here is a really good reason not to. I pointed this out to the fish guy there and informed him that he was going to lose everything in the display tanks that was on the same water. Total of 10 tanks 30+ fish. He shrugged his shoulders and said ya." I know, nothing I can do about it. I am not allowed to move the fish to the other tanks." It is apparently against corporate policy to save the fish there. I asked him why the maintenance was bad on all the fish tanks. He replied "they do not give us the hours to properly maintain any of the animals here."
petco.jpg

It VARIES FROM STORE TO STORE.

Employees who actually care, regardless of what policy is will do what they can to save an animal.

I wouldn't buy stock from that store if he was so blase' about it.

I was so shocked I got angry......wanted to buy every fish in the place to save them but have no where to put them. Was just so wrong....This same petco a couple of years ago was very well maintained.

The "fish" guy told me that the corporate people would not give them hours to maintain the systems. That the just have stock show up at the store. No thought about any of it. I know you worked at a petco at one point but dang. If the corporate mentality is that they should stop selling fish.

False. It all depends on the trainer/store manager and whether or not they value animal life over the cost to treat it.

Yep, that's how I meant it...they only do what they are taught...it could be good habits or bad, but it began somewhere.

I can't speak for the corporate side of it now.

I can speak for my company, though. There are four of us that maintain a 100+ tank, almost 2000 gallon system. We are given barely enough hours to maintain our system but we get it done because we care.

I'm not saying corporate is not to blame, they totally are... but there are absolutely things that can be done at a store level, and it sounds like the guy you talked to did not care.

It's crazy to me because when "Tanked" did that build for the Petco HQ it seemed like there was so much love for animals there. But, it seems like they have almost no clue what goes on at most of their stores on a daily basis.

Yeah, that definitely sucks for the fish/corals. I have been to a couple Petcos where the tanks were just not maintained well at all. Others I've been to seem to be much better.

Experiences will vary store to store, I've worked with some employees that were very knowledgable. Others had no qualifications of running their saltwater department.

Last edited:
All the fish at my petco are sickly, pale, and covered in ich most of the time. Especially the clownfish....all their clownfish are HUGE, but they're like a pale sickly orange instead of vibrant. They look so sad.

Back