Solaris Illumination System

Altohombre

The Tennis Pro Reefer
damn does this thing look interesting or what? Anyone know of any videos of the Solaris in action. I'd like to see the effects.

My LFS has Solaris lights over one of their display tanks. The colors of the corals come out looking amazing, but he still prefers T5s and MH over the Solaris fixtures because of price and ease of replacing bulbs.

I have heard they look great and will work for softies and maybe LPS but not enough for SPS. The threads I have read all say poor growth and brown out with SPS long term. It really is a cool concept though - but man they are pricey!!

you would think that the company would want to sell as many as possible and therefore would put up videos of the product working to entice us. The one LFS I go to have it on their tank as well and it does run very cool. The MH on their tank is hot as hell.

I think they just broke into the market a little to early, with a product not quite good enough. There is still a lot of development and testing being done and they just sorta jumped the gun trying to tie up the market. I think within the next year better LED lights will be available at lower prices. There are even better more efficient lighting systems than LED's on the horizon, but at this time they are to large to be practical for anything short of 6 to 8 foot long tanks. They are still in the 1000 watt range and put out over three times the Lumens as halides. So far it is a light down in the 6000 to 6500K range though so blue light supplementation would be wanted by most people for viewing pleasure. They will be great for large scale fraggers as they are. They are under going field testing in areas of industrial lighting at this time. No mass production yet.

Same technology, too little, too early, at too much cost. An over exageration of output also. Equivalent to what kind of output of a 400 watt halide, and at at least five times the price of a 400 watt halide?

Last edited:
Back