Solaris LED

putter

Reefing newb
Posted this in my tank showcase but thought some may want to see it here as well.

Well the Solaris light showed up tonight, spent some time looking over the manual, got around to hooking it up..... so excited......BAH SO MUCH FOR QUALITY CONTROL!! For a light that is suppose to be tested for 48 hrs I recieved one out of the box that did not work. Seems that one of power supplies is not working...at least I hope thats what it is, if not that then the light itself is toast!! either way it is not something that should be an issue on a 2700 dollar light, I hope that PFO is very prompt at replacing the power supply and that the customer service is still there! Now for the plus, the half that is working seems to be awsum...great shimmer effect with bright light to the bottom of the tank, and thats on a 30" deep tank, I have come up with a plan to mount the solaris light in the canopy if PFO can satisyfy me with their customer service...if not then I return the light, and tell people on the communtiy forums of my experiance with PFO and turn to trying the Aquailumination LED lights.

Sorry about your problems with the Solaris. I'm sure PFO will fix the problem ASAP. You might just have to wait untill after Christmas though. From what I hear the problems are few and far between with the newer units and yours should work great once the problem is taken care of. My Solaris should be in the middle of next month. I did alot of research before I bought and talked to about 20 first hand owners. Out of those 20, 1 had to have the power supply replaced which took 2 days to get and 1 other had to have a bank of LED's replaced which took about 2 days. All 20 couldn't be any happier with their purchase though. I'm sure you will be too. On the other hand I myself may end up ordering a really cheap light to keep things alive should a problem arise after my tank is set up. :mrgreen:

J&L Aquatics is on the ball, they are shipping a new power supply today, I should have it by Monday, customer service from both PFO and J&L was outstanding.

I made a comment in your thread already Putter.Still,looking at other forums for QC on the AquaI fixture.

Maybe in a year,the quality will be there.......and a whole lot cheaper,I hope.

That may be possible for sure, it will advance very quickly, the one I purchased will most likely be out dated before spring LOL. No biggie tho, so long as I can get it to work I think it will be plenty bright enough to do what it needs to do for the inhabbitants of the tank. (when I get some that is)

Oh and good luck finding info on the other lights....I know people have purchased them but not much feed back that I can find, if you do find anything please let me know, I would love to read the experiances of others that have the AI system.

Just a quick update on the LED's, the other power supply showed up within a couple days....excellent customer service there...thumbs up to J&L Aquatics. The light is bright...very very bright...the lunar lights look good...I was however expecting a more....hmm gradual sunrise...if that would be the way to word it...let me explain...when I read up on the light and the solar functions it said the light would come on slowly...I expected a slow gradual increase in light...like turning a dimmer switch up...but the lights in fact jump from one light intensity to the next. It is timed...and other than the inital impact it is hardly noticable...but the inital is just like turning on a lamp...dark...POOF light is on...not at full brightness mind you but still not like the sun comming up by any means. Now having said that I must say that I have not played with the settings much at all, which will be on my list of experiments while I wait for stock to show up. It may be possible to arrange the settings to make a longer sunrise and therefore a more gradual increase in light intensity. Will keep you posted.

Yeah man keep us updated. Mine should be here in a matter of weeks. I'll see if I can find the thread from another forum where a guy was having the same problem. He ended up changing the settings so that when the light first turned on it was at something like 5% of power and slowly increased over the next 2 hours untill his whites were at 70% and his blues were at 100%. They stayed like that for something like 10 hours with a little dimming during the day for cloud cover and then slowly started going down in power untill only his moonlights were on.

Yeh thats what I was going to try....increase the sunrise/sunset times by 4, they are set at 30mins by default, so if I increase to 2 hours it should allow them to come on much slower, it will take some messing about to get the whites and blues set the way I want them but I am hoping I will be able to simulate an actual sunrise, where the lights don't do any kind of POOF situation, just want them to come on dim and slowly get bright. A link to that post would be great, would give me something to work from...thanks :)

is thee not a controller that can hook up to your PC?
I believe there are some Preset downloads that people have created. Let me check on it . POST PICS!!

I think that is for the AI light, I know the talk was about being able to hook it to your PC and download software for it.

Back