Some advice on new tank setup please

Bilbo4fun

Reefing newb
Hi all, My name is Gary and have been lurking here for a couple of days and just now registered. I've had a reef tank before but was 10 to 12 years ago. My how equipment and things have changed. A few questions, Tank is a 55 Gallon I purchased used from a guy that just gave up cause he never let it cycle.

Tank has been running for 6 weeks and has cycled and did a partial water change due to nitrates.

Test kit, If I wait 5 mins per instructions everything looks fine. wait 30 mins and have ammonia readings and and nitrate increase. Is this normal and I should just pay attention to the 5 min reading?

Tank came with a wet and dry filter with small refuge thing with protein skimmer. The dry area is filled with bio balls and wet area has those ceramic oval things, dead sponges and bio balls. 1 LFS said it's fine other LFS said to remove everything from filter and just worry about the protein skimmer. Which is correct? The entire filter and skimmer setup is new to me.

Lighting. Came with compact flourescents 1 actnic 1 daylight 10,000 K 96 watt. Also a new in box t5 fixture single bulb. 1 LFS said to use both and fine for coral etc. Other LFS said to dump the compact flourescent use the T5 and when ready for corals add another T5. Your suggestions.
Right now I have 40 LB of base rock, sand bottom, 3' wide and tall by 1' deep piece of dead coral. added 10 crabs, 5 shrimp and a reef safe spiny starfish as a clean up crew along with 2 clownfish.

Waiting a couple weeks before adding new lifestock to make sure water chemistry stays good.

Sorry for the length of post but want to do this right and so much has changed since last tank. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
Thanks in advance

Hi all, My name is Gary and have been lurking here for a couple of days and just now registered. I've had a reef tank before but was 10 to 12 years ago. My how equipment and things have changed. A few questions, Tank is a 55 Gallon I purchased used from a guy that just gave up cause he never let it cycle.

Tank has been running for 6 weeks and has cycled and did a partial water change due to nitrates.

Test kit, If I wait 5 mins per instructions everything looks fine. wait 30 mins and have ammonia readings and and nitrate increase. Is this normal and I should just pay attention to the 5 min reading?
Go with the 5 minute instructions.As the test sets,the chemical reactions are changing.So you'll get different reading for longer dwell times.

Tank came with a wet and dry filter with small refuge thing with protein skimmer. The dry area is filled with bio balls and wet area has those ceramic oval things, dead sponges and bio balls. 1 LFS said it's fine other LFS said to remove everything from filter and just worry about the protein skimmer. Which is correct? The entire filter and skimmer setup is new to me.
Personally,I'd ditch all the mechanical filter pads and go with the skimmer.But I've seen great tanks run with both set ups.

Lighting. Came with compact flourescents 1 actnic 1 daylight 10,000 K 96 watt. Also a new in box t5 fixture single bulb. 1 LFS said to use both and fine for coral etc. Other LFS said to dump the compact flourescent use the T5 and when ready for corals add another T5. Your suggestions.
Get a new 4 bulb T-5 fixture or maybe look into the 4ft LED fixtures.

Right now I have 40 LB of base rock, sand bottom, 3' wide and tall by 1' deep piece of dead coral. added 10 crabs, 5 shrimp and a reef safe spiny starfish as a clean up crew along with 2 clownfish.
Start adding a little live rock.
Waiting a couple weeks before adding new lifestock to make sure water chemistry stays good.

Sorry for the length of post but want to do this right and so much has changed since last tank. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
Thanks in advance

My replies are in the red.

Hello and welcome! I agree with Yote. Follow the directions on the test kit when testing. You won't get an accurate reading if you wait 30 minutes. I'd go with the skimmer as well. And I think you will need more lighting than what you have to keep corals. As for live rock, you want to aim for 1 to 2 lbs per gallon. You've got 40 lbs of dead rock in there now (which will turn into live rock over time, so that's fine), so you'll want to add a little bit more.

Back