some kind of worm

charmon09

Reefing newb
hello,

about a week ago i saw this thing slide under a rock on my way to bed. I dont think it is a bad guy but just want to make sure because i cant identify it. i havent seen it poking around any corals and have watched him most nights for the last week. it did help clean up a snail that had died. anybody know what this it??

DSCN0729.jpg

DSCN0728.jpg

DSCN0721.jpg

DSCN0705.jpg

haha i had nightmares the first night after i saw it... i dont think is will harm anything now after watching it for a few nights. it only seems to be scavenging.

I don't believe that that's your normal everyday bristle worm.That looks more like an Eunicid to me.If that's the case,you may start noticing some coral and fish disappear.

If it turns out to be an Eunicid,DO NOT reach and grab it bare handed.You'll never get all those stingers out of your hand plus thay can have a nasty bite.

ok i have ordered a pair of tongs. they should be here on friday and i will prob just grab it out of there. i dont want to take any chances

i would put rubber gloves on a gas mask and a pair of tongs just to watch someone else take that creepy thing out.

ok i have ordered a pair of tongs. they should be here on friday and i will prob just grab it out of there. i dont want to take any chances

Just keep in mind that when you grab it with the tongs,it may break in two.If it does,then you'll have 2 of them to remove instead of just one.

I'd advise to try a trap made from a pair of ladies nylons first.Place some food into the nylons and tie it off.Place the trap in an open corner of the tank and leave it over night.
If the worn goes for the bait,it'll get it's bristles hung in the nylons and wont be able to escape,then as it tries twist it's way loose,it'll become more entangled making removal easy.

Back