Some Progress Pictures

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
Here's some pics of my tank from the beginning up until now.

The first pic is from a few months ago. Usually about 4 months ago. The second pic is from just this weekend.

Green Stripe Mushrooms
Then
FirstShroomjMedium.JPG

Now
GreenStripe.JPG

Some yellow polyps. I originally got 2 of them on a little bitty rock.
IMG_0313.JPG

Some of them grew on the glass and I'm hoping they will spread
YellowPolyps_410278.jpg

YellowPolyps_571533.JPG

Some green fuzzy mushrooms. These were the size of a nickel when I got them.
Then
GreenMushroomsa.JPG

And now. One of them split recently. The big one is about 2.5" across and the 2 small ones are about 1" across
GreenFuzzy.JPG

Brown button polyps. Had one large polyp with a little sprout around the back.
Polypd_463226.JPG

These polyps almost dies on me. They got sick and shriveled up for about 6 weeks. I thought they were gonezo. Look at them today!! Back with a vengence!!
BrownButtonPolyps.JPG

Here we go. Group hug!!
2_474212.JPG

And now:
PurpleGreenZoas.JPG

NeonGreenZoas.JPG

TricolorZoasGlass.JPG

:bounce:

My Acropora frag under my old PC lighting:
SPS.JPG

And that same SPS under my new T5 lights--about 2 months later. Poor pic quality, but you cen see how fluorescent it has become.
SPSAcro.JPG

Nice growth pic on the corals.Still love those zoos Rc.
Why kind of sps is in the last pic?Hydnophora maybe.

I think it's just Green Acropora. But it's such a bright green neon color. I wish I could get a good pic of it. None of the pics I've taken do it justice. It could be Hydnophora. Wouldn't that be cool?!?! I've heard that Hydnophora is rare.

How can I get a positive ID on this thing? What do I need to look for? Is it the shape of the polyps? Is there a pattern on the polyps? Is it the shape of the branches after it grows out?

It is growing, but it's VERY slow. I think it spent the last 4 months just attaching to the rock. I did not glue it on. I simply wedged it down into a crack. The original cut part was never glued down and healed up within a few months. It's just such a slow growing coral. I keep hoping it will grow UP instead of OUT and onto the rock. Seams like most of it's growth has been at the base where it is encrusting the live rock.

Thanks for the complements on the growth. I'll try and get a better pic of the SPS.

This is as good as I can do. The polyps are retracted here.
The polyps are purple on the ends with little white tips.
PIC_0005.JPG

PIC_0004.JPG

Hydno isn't rare.I've seen them in two flavors-encrusting and branching.Neither resemble acros.They don't have little hairs or polyps,kinda fleshy neon green.Looking at your second pic with the polyps retracted its definitely not hydno.Maybe a monti or the very young acro.

I know it's not monti. I'm pretty sure the person who cut this frag for me said it was Acro. Probably just your average, run of the mill, green acropora.

I just wish it would grow a little faster. I think most of it's energy has been spent attaching to the rock and healing from where it was cut. 1/2 of it was wedged down in that crack, so you can really only see the top 50% of it. It's finally started to grow a little on that top knub. I can't wait until it has branches and gets 4" or 5" tall.

I was reading an article on ReefKeeping where they said not to glue the cut part of the frag to a plug. The cut part should remain exposed to good flow so that it can heal. The frag will actually attach to a rock faster if you just rubberband it on the side or wedge it into a crack as I did. Dumb luck I guess, because I just read that article last week. :shock:

I've been hammering away, trying to ID this thing. I'm starting to think it could be a monti.

Most of the SPS Acro that I see have knubs or little teardrop shaped protrusions where each polyp comes out of the stalk. My frag is smooth on the entire surface. There are no knuds or protrusions where the polyps come out. The only SPS that I can find that is smooth like this is montipora.

its a small piece of a common green staghorn sps frag..imo,tats a smart way to "plant" a frag staghorn..

Back