Some questions about cycling my tank

hotimportknight

New! Big Tank Club!
Its me again, only in a new thread now, the last one was getting way off topic. I got my those test strips the other day, I know you said they aren't very accurate, Ill have to look into getting some good stuff for testing along the line, about how much does that kind of stuff run? We only have 1 fish store in town and I dont think he has anything like that... there is no competition in town... I did my first test last night and as of then everything tested in the ideal range.. PH, nitrate, nitrite, alkalinity and ammonia were all in the perfectly normal range, shouldnt these be spiking or anything by now a week into it? Ive got about 25 lbs of live rock in there, and live sand, and my 2 damsels... What is a normal time frame for this stuff to happen? And when will I be able to start adding more stuff...? whats a good rule of thumb.. I really like clown fish and I'm aspiring for a set of those, but I need an anemone for each one, and that requires more light... what do you guys recommend for upgrading my lighting, I only have the 2 19 watt 24" bulbs built into my hood.. can I upgrade that to support anemonies with out compromising the look of my tank and getting rid of the new 50$ hood and lights I just bought a week ago...? Also, with my damsels.. you guys think they will be ok with clown fish? at the pet sore they had the last damsel I got in the same tank with a clown fish. Another fish I really am interested in are lion fish... whats the compatability like with all these fish?

whoa...first of all....S-L-O-W------D-O-W-N. We all get Super excited about starting our tanks, but if I read your post right, your tank has only been up for a week. wait another two to make sure things are staying consistent.

Let me address a few of your questions.

1 "Ive got about 25 lbs of live rock in there" - You want to have between 1 and 1.5 lbs of live rock per gallon. Look to add more live rock before adding anymore live stock. Do this while your tank is cycling.

2. "I really like clown fish and I'm aspiring for a set of those, but I need an anemone for each one, and that requires more light..." -I love cowns as well, but if you get a pair of the same kind, one anemone will be just fine. The problem is that anemones require really consistent, seasoned water to survive and that takes about 8 months. If you were to add one now, they would just shrivel up and die, creating an ammonia spike that will kill everything else in the tank. Wait on the anemones. Don't mix clown species, they are SUPER territorial and will kill each other. Your system is not big enough. Reef's 210 may not be big enough for his two pair he is trying. (hope it is, though my friend). They need a lot of lighting. Go with T-5 lighting and you will have enough light to get done what you want - 4 bulbs.

3. "Also, with my damsels.. you guys think they will be ok with clown fish?" - it depends on the damsels and the clownfish you choose. Some damsels are labeled as "devils" in their common name cuz they are NASTY. If you have green chromis or yellow-tail you will be fine. Many clowns are aggressive toward damsels since they are cousins and in the same family. Be careful adding them together in a 55 gallon tank. Fish compatibility is the biggest problem in tanks and the smaller the tank, the more competition for space, hence more chance of fighting. You can plan for about 12-14 inches of fish in your tank, and that is about it. Choose your livestock wisely.

Which brings me to your last question:

4. "Another fish I really am interested in are lion fish... whats the compatability like with all these fish?"

They are very compatable....Lionfish = King....other fish = food. If you add a lionfish to your system, you can count on it eating all of your other fish. They can consume food items equal to 75% of their body length with EASE. I have done it in my tank and watched it happen. You might get away with a dwarf lion (fu-manchu) which only gets about 4 inches, but it still may eat any fish that is about 3-4 inches in your tank (damsels, your clowns, gobies, etc). Best to not add that fish or make it your only fish in the tank.

The husbandry needs of the various fish we are interested in is why we all seem to get more than one tank. Look at me, I have three. Best of luck and hope the info was helpful

-Dr Marco :sfish::sfish:

BTW, I am going to bill you for the pain medication I need to take now for writing that freakin' novel of a response. LOL

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Clowns DO NOT need anemones. In fact, clowns do perfectly fine without anemones. Anemones are REALLY difficult to keep alive... It's recommended that you have your tank established and stable for at least 10 months before even THINKING about an anemone. Like Dr. Marco said, if one gets sick or dies, it will likely wipe out your entire tank. And they die VERY easily. Usually they waddle themselves straight into a powerhead and get chopped up. I had an anemone for about a year, and will not ever have one again in a reef tank. They are just not worth it. And I have a pair of clowns that are very happy without one.

Second, you picked out two of the WORST damsels to have -- striped and electric blue. I am guessing that if you add clowns to the same tank (which are also very territorial), the clowns will get the sh!t beat out of them. Which is why everyone said to catch the damsels and take them back to the store now, while you don't have a lot of rock to fumble around. You can keep them if you want, but I think if you do, you will have to go through a lot of dead fish.

Test kits -- order them and your equipment online. The two main sites I use are Pet Supplies, Dog Supplies, Cat Supplies, Pet Meds & Pet Products: Drs. Foster & Smith Pet Supplies and Aquarium supplies for your tropical fish tank, saltwater fish tank, saltwater aquarium fish, freshwater aquarium fish & reef aquarium. Aquarium filters, aquarium lighting, aquarium tanks, protein skimmers & more for your reef tank.. They are a fraction of the price online, even with shipping included.

The new $50 hood and light you bought a week ago will not work with upgraded lights. For now, stick with fish only, save up money, and buy good lights when you have enough saved up. You won't be able to keep any corals until you upgrade lights, but give it time. That will prevent you from rushing into buying corals too :).

Dr. Marco is right. Only get a lionfish if you are okay with it eating everything else in your tank.

Also, bro... You don't have to house an anemone to keep clowns, they will host other things as well... I have a pair of saddle clowns and they host both my frogspawn, my plate coral and my flowerpot...Actually, they more play in the flowerpot, but regardless it is really cute, as my girl says... Anyway, here is a pic of what I am taking about... The 3 on the bottom... But really heed the advice of Dr. Marco and slow down, use this time for planning and research... Trust me, the time will come to spend all the money you can manage, on everything you will want... Start putting money aside now...

Corals015-1.jpg

lavendertang004.jpg

Doc you are one funny mofo!
I'm still going to do my own experimentation...the clowns that is.

Dr. Marco and Biff has you covered.You two were trying to right a novel,were you not.

Reef,

yeah. I just like trying to sound smart like Biff. As far as your experiment with clowns goes, I am sure it will work out for you. You have enough space. I can't imagine the fireworks of trying to fit two different pair of clowns in a 55 gallon with two gnarley damsels already established. Ouch.

Alright, thanks for all the great info again... guess my lionfish is out of the question... and I'll prolly find a way to get the damsels some time in the future, the guy at the pet store said a small fishing lure with the barb removed works if nothing else... Until then I need something to look at... I might go pick up more live rock today, but damn that crap is expensive... Ive dropped more money into rock i think than the total I spent on the tank , stand, salt, lights, hood...

Yeah setting up the tank is the expensive part. Once it's up and running, maintenance costs near to nothing, compared to what was spent establishing it in the first place. Once you look into getting good lights though, that's what hurts. Lighting is usually the most expensive part of the tank.

I was just looking at some lighting on that one site you sent a link to, I just dont wanna get like a 48" light for 500$ and then down the road when I upgrade to a bigger tank have to get rid of it and find something that fits better... Also whats your guys thoughts on moving with a saltwater aquarium? I'm in college right now and after this year I have to move to finish my degree... Ill be in LaCross for probably 2 years, then who knows where... I had some plans on how to move it, by transferring everything into another tank and moving my big one down to where i'm going to live, then moving all the animals and rocks in another trip... Unless I just buy a bigger tank and get it going, then come get my stuff... either way its not going to be easy, but I'm totally addicted now and there is no going back...

I will let you know what a pain in the butt it is to move a huge tank in about three weeks. if you are planning a bigger tank soon, just wait for the lights - you need some more time for the tank to mature anyway.

I can tell you from experience, that moving a tank is a tough job. I moved my tank two years ago because I moved. The only good thing would be that your live rock and sand bed are already established so the cycle isnt as long as when you first set it up. But it is still a pain and my tank is only a 30 gallon

Brian

yea I moved my 240 from northern utah to southern utah (about 300 miles) in february 2 years ago (so yea in the snow) it is a tough thing to do.

I am SOOOO dreading moving my tank. I am tempted to order a 175 - tall - that will fit on my stand just in case I drop my 125. As good of an excuse as I can think of to upgrade my tank.

I am SOOOO dreading moving my tank. I am tempted to order a 175 - tall - that will fit on my stand just in case I drop my 125. As good of an excuse as I can think of to upgrade my tank.

yea I would go with that.... it took 6 guys to move the 240 and it almost slipped out of the 4 that ended up holding it cuz 2 was scrapped off when coming down the stairs.

go for it. maybe not tall though unless you want to swim all the time. :) the 850 is 30" tall and somedays I am swimming and depending on someone else to tell me where the coral is that fell cuz I can't see from the top.

Really??? It only took two guys to move my 240 -- the LFS owner and Neal. And Neal is 6'2" and 180 -- skinny. I was surprised how NOT heavy it was.

my 240 had a cracked bottom so it had another piece inside so that it wouldn't leak... not sure if this is what made it heavy, to take it out. but come to think of it it only took 2 to put it under the 850... :)

Back