some questions for beginner

itayush

Reefing newb
I have read a lot in the internet about setting my seawater aquarium and tried to follow all the crucial steps (patience, patience, and again patience) J

So I am asking from you guys to review and comment please. Thanks.

My aquarium is running for 4 months now: 1st month no fish nor corals only 3 rocks and sea sand.

Location – my apartment living room next to a big glass wall. (Blocked any direct sun)

Size – 48*21*20Inch 90Gallon

Equipment:
1. Chiller è Hielia HC-300A (Set temperature on 27celciouse
2. Protein skimmer (120 gallon)
3. Lightning – Top bright 150w and 2 Blue moon lights. (Operate 12 hours/day)
4. Very powerful head pump.
5. Biological filter (3 levels) at the corner of the aquarium.
6. Food timer – 2 times/day (Small amount)

Corals:
1. Haddon's anemone
2. I can’t find the name in the indexes that I looked in so far L

Fish:
1. Lawnmower Blenny
2. Sebae Anemonefish
3. False Percula Clownfish
4. Emperor red snapper
5. Blue Angelfish

Maintenance:
1. 20liter change/weekly
2. Clearing front glass (all other 3 I leave with the algy on!)
3. Add: Bacteria, Strontium, Zooplankton, Stable Ph [All weekly]

Water quality:
1. Check salty level/daily.
2. Temperature is controlled by the chiller.

It looks as if you have things under control. Are you having any problems with anything?

The one thing that stands out is the anemone in such a young tank. That could be or could become a problem.

Do you have any pics of your set-up? Welcome to the site.

You might also look into getting a brighter light; 150W for a 90 gallon is kind of low, especially if you plan to add coral. I would add another 150W at the least, but a pair of supplemental T-5 actinics would hurt either. That way you would have a 3 stage light set-up, moon light; moon light and actinics; moon light, actinics, and 2x150W MH's

Also, I don't know how low the tempreture gets in Bangkok, so I'm sure you're fine with just a chiller, but if it gets below 24 Celsius, then you may want to have a heater handy.

Welcome to the site.
Everybody else you covered pretty good.
But you might want to rethink that snapper.Their full out predators and probably eat most of your other fish,including the clowns.

First of all – WOW!!! many thanks all for the very quick, informative and useful replays!!! [Dcantucson, XxKnuckleheadxX, Kidj57, Mega, Smitty & Yote] :D

So far so good but I would like to know more about some issues:

1. How long should I keep my day lightning ON Hr/day

2. Should I keep the Blue moon during the night time too?

3. Where can I find good index to find names of my corals?

4. Bluefish – yes I just realized that and I will trade him back this week J [Thanks XxKnuckleheadxX]

5. What other fish do you suggest me to put in?

6. How can I know which coral need more/less light?

I keep following the first rule of “reef aquariuming” and change SLOWLY and a BIT at time.

Sorry about the pictures quality - I will take some professional pictures and resend (I dont own a camera :frustrat:)

Any other comments will be more then welcome.

Thanks on advance.

Itay.

Attachments

• Coral 1.jpg
    Coral 1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 247
  • Coral 1_1.jpg
    Coral 1_1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 321
  • Coral 2.jpg
    Coral 2.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 251
  • Coral 3.jpg
    Coral 3.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 256
  • Left Green Right Brown Coral.jpg
    Left Green Right Brown Coral.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 292
  • New Lightning system.jpg
    New Lightning system.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 262
  • White Coral.jpg
    White Coral.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 234
  • Overview.jpg
    Overview.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 283
  • Overview during set-up.jpg
    Overview during set-up.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 265
  • Overview during set-up 4.jpg
    Overview during set-up 4.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 252
This site below is pretty good for looking at coral/fish and getting basic information on them:
Saltwater Reef Aquariums: Live Coral for Saltwater Coral Reef Aquariums
That should help with questions 3, 5, & 6.

Is I may suggest something: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+2767&pcatid=2767 ...not too expensive, seems to be your style, and fits your tank.

One other thing that we've all forgot to mention...you need more rock. I totally forgot till I saw your pictures, which are not bad at all, but you need at least 40.8kg/90lbs of rock in there

welcome to the site. You do not need to leave your lights on 12 horus day. Nothing in your tank needs that much light. 8 hours is good. (I've been to Thailand 3 times and its great!)

Also, you have done the right thing by getting advice on your tank setup!

Some of the things that stand out to me is I really dont think that is enough lighting. What type lighting is that? Also I was wondering why you are adding bacteria? Also I`m thinking you are feeding too much. I`ve always fed my tank everyother day for eleven years now. The fish will be fine and you`ll be able to keep low levels of excessive nutrients that feed nuisance algea. Just some of my observations.

Dear Knucklehead,

With Heavy heart I took out the Blue-angle today and put it at my friends Fish only Aquarium only after checking that it’s OK.

Dear KidJ57,

Thanks for the useful links and the fish suggestion. – Budget is not an issue as this is my only Hobby J - I try to be picky and put only the best in my Aquarium.
Checking today I have 31.5Kg of rock inside so far and will add some as suggested.

Temperature in Bangkok is too high – so as my electricity bill (All year long – 3 seasons: Hot, very hot, Super Hot) and they don’t sell Heaters here.

Dear Melosu58,

I am feeding more frequently as I don’t my fish to act aggressively due to lack of available nutritional supplements essential for their diet.

The lightning questions are still in place:

1. Should I keep the moon light open during night time?
2. Suggesting 8Hr Instead of 12Hr. (Will it Harm or just to save energy?) – so many different opinions on the web.

· Should I clean the back and side walls from whatever is growing on it?

Again, any comments will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Itay

My moon lights come on as my actinics turn off every night.You fine leaving them.Wont hurt anything.
I also run my daylights a total of 12 hours.I've finally got my halides burning for 10 and the actinics for a full 12.Though it wont hurt to cut back to 8 hours a day.

Should I clean the back and side walls from whatever is

I wouldn't worry about the back sooo much, but it depends what is growing back there...personally, I clean the sides of my tank, but I know people who don't; I think it's just a look/style preference...if you want to be able to see into your tank from the side, then clean it, if not, don't.

Dear Yote, kidJ57 & Bifferwine,
Well noted with thanks for your comments. I will keep the stuff that growing on my walls viewing from the front is magical enough J and lights will keep on 12Hr. with Blue moon all night as well.

the only problem you might have keeping the lights on for longer is more algae growth in the tank.. if that happens you'll need to cut way back on the lights and feeding

Back