some shots of my eco system

poksal

Well? .. I AM trying
Well, I finally have my reef eco system like I want it.

Note the swich banks which control the socket sets on the left wall of the cabinet. Wires are all run over rafters across the overhead of the caminet.

This is a 10 gallon sump with water returning from the tank to the far right. The skimmer is in the 2 gallon anex right forward and feeds back into the bubble nest. The reuge is 10 gallons and is fed by a pump that branches to feed the bio-pellet reactor.

The RODI you see is under my desk which is built on to the left wall of the cabinet, so when I work, do my books, or go online (to Living Reefs) I see my reef to my right. If you noticed that the RO membrane canister in the fore ground is not plumbed, good eye, that will get a membrane soon and will fill my change water tank.

The RODI tank is the water jug, the ATO is fed from that into the last sump stage. Both the RODI tank and the ATO are controled by my own design of floats with relay latched double microswitch logic, with fail equals no fill safety.

The ball valve in the middle that goes no where will eventually feed a chiller. This is because we go camping the entire month of July (to the high Rockies) and leave the AC off for that month (in Texas).. I will need a chiller, my son will tend the reef during that month.

Right now my tank is set up but is maturing so you can expect some pictures in a few days after I get some more decent corals. For now it has a Clown, a pair of Emerald Crabs, two yellow tailed Damsels, two tri-colored Damsels, a large (silver dollar size) Zebra hermit, and three other small hermits, and various snails. I have a few small button corals that are doing well and are my indicators as I prep for more corals.

My calcium is running a tad low as is the magnesium <- just barely, and my phosphates are a tad high, as is the kH's. .. but they are coming in slowly. I'm currently dosing calcium up slowly with Reef Fusion1.

Comments, helps, and questions welcome.

Thanx for tuning in...and for any helpful constructive comments.

Attachments

• reef eco system 1 of Oct-2012.jpg
    reef eco system 1 of Oct-2012.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 319
  • reef eco system 2 of Oct-2012.jpg
    reef eco system 2 of Oct-2012.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 359
  • reef eco system 3 of Oct-2012.jpg
    reef eco system 3 of Oct-2012.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:
thats a lot of stuff.....under my tank looks tame compared to that...is your fuge really that green or is it a trick of the light?

Ted - not quite that green.. but close...& thanx
Smitty - thank you.

I failed to brag on the good job the STC-1000 is doing of holding the temperature with-in a degree. It is the little gray box w/orange "ears" tagged onto the outside right of my cabinet. This little guy cost about $35 or less at your door and sold on E-bay or Amazon.. it comes with the probe and is a commercial unit used by the thousands all over the world to do temp controlling. It has internal contacts for both your heater and your fans and/or chiller. It is smart to run relays off the contacts to carry the equipment loads but the contacts are supposed to be rated for 30 amps.. but, I wouldn't do that if I were you.

Last edited:
Big compliments on the plumbing... not easy in tight spaces.

Looks good!

Thanx... glad someone noticed the effort... no, is not easy, in fact, it can be a night mare.... as many will attest to.

Good thing is that PVC tube, valves, and unions are cheap.

Back