Some sort of brownish thin hairy algae growing on my corals

Treezer8

Reefing newb
There isn't alot, but there a very thin hair-like brown pieces of algae on a few of my corals. It's not a huuge problem right now, but I want to stop it early.

Ideas?

2012-12-22_15-24-42_585.jpg

2012-12-22_15-23-50_671.jpg

2012-12-22_15-23-29_594.jpg

2012-12-22_15-23-08_291.jpg

If you were having lighting issues, it may be from corals expelling zooxanthellae which almost resembles dinoflagellates. I think I had a similar issue at one point. When you turn off all pumps does it suspend in the water column? I ended up doing several water changes, each few days apart and spending hours sucking out what was suspended like that until it was gone.
And it still may have been dino's for all I know. But it went away fairly easily where dino's usually are very hard to get rid of, so that is my guess.

If you were having lighting issues, it may be from corals expelling zooxanthellae which almost resembles dinoflagellates. I think I had a similar issue at one point. When you turn off all pumps does it suspend in the water column? I ended up doing several water changes, each few days apart and spending hours sucking out what was suspended like that until it was gone.
And it still may have been dino's for all I know. But it went away fairly easily where dino's usually are very hard to get rid of, so that is my guess.

That was my first thought, that it was from the corals. And that may be, because there's only a tiny amount, and its on the corals that are having a little bit of trouble. Like my GSP today, that pic of them that I posted, the brown algae that was there is gone already. But yes, they do point upward and the thicker parts have small bubbles.

Back