Some type of Algae

adampw

Reefing newb
So I have these little rubbery ball looking things attatched to my LR. I was able to get one loose and you are able to pop them(did this outside the tank). Im guessing it is some type of algae. Is there something i can put in there that will eat it, or how do I remove it? I posted a picture of it below. I also posted a picture of my starfish and my anenome. My tank looks a little cloudy because I just blew of my LR.

100_2735.JPG

100_2737.JPG

100_2738.JPG

100_2739.JPG

looks like bubble algea
emerald crabs are supposed to eat it

you are not supposed to pop it inside the tank

i think your supposed to remove the rock and try to get the bubbles off with a knife without popping them

from what ive read about it on the forums its a very agressive algea and can take over your tank if popped

what kind of light is that on top of the tank (like how many watts of 10,000K and/or Actinic)?

Also, I just want to warn you in advance that the chocolate chip sea star you have there will feed on soft coral, clams and other sea stars and maybe feather dusters. So if you ever plan to get any thing like that you might want to ditch the chocolate chip star. I think it will be ok with your anemone though. Hopefully your lights are powerful enough for the anemone.

Last edited:
Wow, that looks like an awful lot of powerheads for a 29 gal. Do the fish struggle against the current in the tank?
Nope they sure dont. I only have 2 powerheads in there. It only turns my tank about 10 times per house which is the minimum recommended according to my LFS. I will be removing those powerheads and adding 2 Koralia's.

what kind of light is that on top of the tank (like how many watts of 10,000K and/or Actinic)?

Also, I just want to warn you in advance that the chocolate chip sea star you have there will feed on soft coral, clams and other sea stars and maybe feather dusters. So if you ever plan to get any thing like that you might want to ditch the chocolate chip star. I think it will be ok with your anemone though. Hopefully your lights are powerful enough for the anemone.

Its the SunPod. It is 250w 14,000k MH. THat anenome has been in there for about a year and has always done well. Thanks for the tip on the chocolate chip sea star. It has been in there for about 6 months now and has left my sand sifting start and my feather duster alone. Maybe its a nice one :D. Now I just have to figure out the best way to get rid of that algae. My LR is glued together.

Last edited:
I would take the whole rock out and carefully remove the bubble algae in a 5 gallon bucket of RO or saltwater(preferred). Do your best to not break the bubbles in the tank or around the rock IMO

just takw it out and use a pair of tweezers and grab it at the base were it attatch to rock and pull it off. just be care full. i my self would not worry about keeping it under water since the rock will only be out of the water for a couple min. if you are going to keep it out of water for more then 5 or ten min than put it in some water.

Last edited:
My bad....from the picture it looked like there might have been 3 power heads. As for the light, I couldnt tell by the picture what you had exactly. That light should definetely do the trick. I am not a fan of sea stars other than brittle or serpent stars. I do however like the look of the blue linkia sea star though. But yeah, if you have bubble algae then maybe try doing what fatman says he does and get them loose and syphon them out of the tank with a syphon hose. In my 8+ years of reef/fowlr tanks I never really had much trouble with bubble algae. The ones that I do see are small ones on occassion and I just use a big turkey baster and suck em out. I dont have any emerald crabs in my tanks, but I will probably get some.

Emerald crabs will usually do the trick, you could get a pair for your tank. Otherwise, I've always found that pulling the bubbles off with a pair of tweezers works well.

Thank you for all the replies. I am ging to attempt to get them out tomorrow. I may end up just taking the rock out and doing it to be safe. I want to remove some of the sand from sand bed anyway.

Back