Someone help me ID this new SPS

Doc

I don't work for anybody
Bought it today and I think it is an Acro, but I am not fully aware of all the possibilitities. It was $30 - good deal or did I get robbed?

-Doc

PB030010.jpg

If your looking for the scientific name for that acropora,I'm no good at that.There's just to many kinds,it does look like a bottlebrush or tort....Acropora tortusa perhaps.

yeah, that is the thing. I have no idea how to care for the damn thing if I don't know what to look up. I am willing to admit I have NO experience keeping SPS corals, other than they need intense lighting, moderate to strong flow and glow slow as snail :pooh:.

The LFS said the color is as good my guess as theirs, looks kinda yellow-ish or maybe lime green (I hope not, I have too much green in my tank already). it seems as if color on SPS corals tend to fade when they are in the LFS for too long. This one was starting to fade a bit. Any idea why?

-Doc

Not the correct lighting and too many soft corals tend to slowdown and even possibly brown them out.An occasional dose of phyto is beneficial too.

hmmm, why do soft corals make them brown out? do they compete for calcium or something? how many is too many? I don't want that to happen in my tank? is it all softies or just leathers? damn reef, now you got me all freaked out. so much for sleep tonight

-Doc

This is what I heard and read.....

Soft corals(and yes mainly leathers) releases chemicals which either slowdown or keep sps from growing.Carbon and Chemipure will take care of the chemicals but I've also heard running carbon to often or full time isn't good for sps too.I'm not sure why though.I'm going to have to dig out the old issues of FAMA to find out why.I do believe the problem with mix reefs is less of an issue on bigger systems such as yours and mine.

sweetheart, if you recall, your tank and mine are separated by about 120 gallons. is a mixed reef of 90 gallons still OK for SPS and leathers?

-Doc

yeah...soooo. should I dump all my softies? I have about 100 mushrooms all over the rocks, not to mention rics and nepthias. he!!. What do you think? I do run carbon all the time, but now Reef is telling me that causes problems. :pooh: now what to do?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

sweetheart, if you recall, your tank and mine are separated by about 120 gallons. is a mixed reef of 90 gallons still OK for SPS and leathers?

-Doc

Sweetheart?

Honey,if you want to go hardcore with sps,it would be wise to get rid of the leathers and colts,nepheas(or whatever they are called).Mushrooms,zoos and other small polyp corals like cloves are okay.Personally,I believe your system is big enough.

what about LPS? are they OK to keep with sps? well, I am only going to add one or two more SPS corals and about two more LPS and I am done, except for fish - they are next on the list

ANTHIAS!!!!!

-Doc

well schnook-ums, Bartlett's anthias. I am lovin me some of thems fishies!!! I ordered them today and they should be here Tuesday!!!

-Doc

Anthias get no love here.I'm glad somebody else besides me have or are getting some.

How many are you getting my poo poo platter?(I ran out of ideas)

yeah. Poo Poo platter? WTF?

I am looking to get me 4 and call it a day in the 90.

BTW , I was looking at successful tanks online and many 75 gallon tanks seem to run OK with a mixed population of corals and they have more softies than me. I will be careful, tho. I hear they use up calcium like it is going out of style.

-Doc

Back