Someone help me out with this Stand design

HeavyHittah

LivingReefs is like home
Here is the stand i plan on building for my 75g with some changes. The guy used 2x6's.
Stand13.jpg

Stand7.jpg

I plan on using 2x4's instead.
If i were to take away one of the middle vertical peices and leave both the middle horizontal peices (cross members) at the top, would it still be strong enough to hold a 75g?
And If it is still sturdy enough, should i take the one from the back or the front?

The thing is that i want two doors on the front and dont need if i need one in the middle for support. And the other thing is i need more room for a sump. the design he had left me with a sump size of 10in wide but if i can take one of the vertical peices off then i can have a sump thats 12in wide.

I do hope i was thorough enough. Let me know.

That is one of the most MASSIVELY OVERBUILT stands I have ever seen! Unreal! Dude you dont need anything nearly that heavy duty.

the AGA stand my 120 sits on doesnt even have that much wood. as long as you make the corners strong you dont need those middle supports at the top. and you can also take all those vertical supports and bring them out to the edge and youll have lots more room under there

Make three rectangles out of 2x4s uses brass or stainless screws to attach them. have you ever seen a bare stud wall? make one for bottom with 12 or 16 inch centers. cover that in plywood take side rectangle and screw that to bottom( maybe put an angled crossbrass maybe not) repeat other side attach top rectangle with a center cross brace. Now cover the whole thing in plywood(plain or fancy veneered finish grade stuff) build doors and attach. Add any decorative moldings you want. Stain or paint accordingly. Dude build a cube and cover it with plywood thats it simple stuff really.

Heres a link showing the same thing basically
http://www.aquariumlife.net/projects/diy-aquarium-stand/56.asp

Last edited:
Picture a topless and bottomless rectangular box with a 2" x 2" vertically in each inside corner. Now glue a horizontal 1" x 4" between each 2" x 2" front, back and sides, both top and bottom. Now cut a piece of plywood to fit inside box on top of 1" x 4" boards running around bottom. Cut out what ever size door(s) hole you want from the front plywood, as long as the inside lumber is covered. Leave a little more of the back. Cut way say half of the back plywood. Glue and screw all joints. Use water proof glue. Coat inside with spar varnish or polyurethane (Varathane), or epoxy paint. Cover with what ever exterior finish you like, or make it with good plywood and cover edges with molding. Make sure lumber and plywood is glued together everywhere they touch each other. This will give you almost an equivalent space inside cabinet as what you would get from a premade commercial cabinet, they would use 3/4' x 3/4" lumber in the corners and probably 1" x 2" or 1" x 3" between uprights. Hopefully this was written easy enough to allow you to form a picture of the design in your mind or on paper.

my suggestion if a may is to go to the local fish store and check out the stands they have

take pictures of them

measure them

and go to home depot and copy them

thats what i did

my stand is 32" tall, 48" long, and 20" deep

solid oak except for the subframing, way overbuilt in hindsight, and still only cost me about $110

your picture is the right concept for the subframing, you just have to lighten it up like fatman is describing

lose the middle supports, go to all 2x4 or 2x2 construction, and cover the whole thing with 1/2" plywood with an oak, or birch veneer on it whatever you like, if you are going to paint it you could use a poplar veneer, with poplar or pine trim

on my top frame i only put 1 cross piece in the middle to keep the lumber straight, same on the bottom

Somebody understood what I wrote. I sometimes wonder. I have a tendency to overwrite and therefore people tend to get lost.

Back