Something growing on zoas

BL1

I've got some things on two of my zoas and they seem to be getting annoyed.

Here it is on my Fire and Ice zoas

IDonZoas.jpg

And the same thing on another one of my frags

IDonZoas3.jpg

Those first two are colonial hydroids. Try hitting them with apstasia X, but not too much so you dont get your zoas. They are a pain in the ass to get rid of.

The third looks like spiroid worms. You know the same things that grow on the glass.

From what I understand, they actually bore into the rock, you might remove the part that shows, but they will grow back. The apstasia X doesnt always work either. I have only had limited success with it, but it keeps them in check.

You can pull the spirorbid worm off with tweezers, but I'm afraid it's not going to work with the hydroids. They are more difficult to combat.

Maybe frag those zoas off the plug, or rock or what ever they are on, and toss it? If the colony is too large you can try fragging around the hydroids, and drilling, cutting, or chiseling that part out.

Well there are many different species closely related to aiptasia if you look at the Taxonomy and there has not been enough research on the Berghia to prove that it will or will not, but It may or may not eat them just a suggestion to the problem, because many times there are aiptasia s growing that the naked eye cant see any way, so it would be like bird in the hand is worth two in the bush ;) if he the Berghia ate both.

Mark

Well, I would have to say it is, due to the fact most other remedies that are chemcial do not always have a good success rate and may comprise water conditions in a small system, so the nudibranch may or may not eat them but if it does it will consume them all, and if it is not eating them it can just be removed and given to a lfs, also it is easy to tell with this species health normally a vibrant orange color, if the color fades its not eating and then remove it, seems like a relative solution to me.

Mark

I still feel the same way. And his reef is a 75 gal. A little bit of aiptasia X isnt going to crash his system.

And i think the odds of getting a nudi that might eat them is pretty slim.

Thanks for the suggestion Mark but, there's no evidence anywhere that suggests berghias eat anything but aptasia. I think I'll at least try the aiptasia X first to see if it works.

I concur with the system not crashing, just from personal experience aiptasia X is not a panacea because it does kill them but they usually return shortly after, I was only suggesting the Nudibranch as a alternative that may that would rid the problem 100% if in fact it did eat them. Also it is a fact that using aiptasia X joes juice etc, also "Scraping aiptasia or the use of different chemicals have not been effective, and actually when irritating the base of the aiptasia creates more budding to occur and therefore stimulating more aiptasia production. Then the growth and explosive infestation cycle begins."

Mark

We arent talking about aiptasia though, we are dealing with colonial hydroids which are a totally different animal. And there is no good or easy solution to dealing with them, but in this case i think aiptasia X is his best bet.

And if aiptasia X wasnt so effective in killing them you would see people using it like they do.

But i do agree that scraping them off is totally ineffective.

No problem, but there are plenty of anything we say is effective and time and time again we most use it over again, so truly how effective is it? anyways I Know the difference they both belong to Cnidaria one is anthozoa and the other is hydrozoa which are similiar in ways. There are so many different species of each of them, best be careful best they can populate rather quickly. and to say that the Nudi only eats one kind of species I would surely doubt that either.

Mark

No problem, but there are plenty of anything we say is effective and time and time again we most use it over again, so truly how effective is it? anyways I Know the difference they both belong to Cnidaria one is anthozoa and the other is hydrozoa which are similiar in ways. There are so many different species of each of them, best be careful best they can populate rather quickly. and to say that the Nudi only eats one kind of species I would surely doubt that either.

All corals, anemones and jellyfish are in Cnidaria, yet they are all very different organisms.

And berghias do only eat aiptasia. They are obligate aiptasia eaters. Meaning they eat only aiptasia. In spite of what you think, there are many, many animals on this earth that are obligates of some food source. If that one food goes away, they go away too. There is zero evidence that berghias eat colonial hydroids.

ok, and there are many different species of berghias, and the close relationship between the two with morphology and anatomy of the species of anthozoa and hydrozoa, with the suggestion in a closed system may consume them, but there are Nudibranchs that do in fact eat hydroids, but highly doubt you can buy them, Chromodoris willani or Nembrotha kubaryana . Best of luck with the problem :) This Hobby there is always something new to learn or try and being innovative can never hurt to expand on what we already know, hence how would be ever expand our knowledge if we never disagreed with what other people say proving true or false.
And I keep Berghias in my tank for quite some time and I do not have either in my tank nor do my nudibranchs starve.

Mark

Back