Something has taken over my tank

avery155

Reefing newb
So my 90 gallon that has yet to be moved to the new house has something that has taken over the tank and seems to have killed all the coral except the frogspawn.. Of course poor water params could have also done that.. :frustrat: Here is a pic. I think it might be button polyps which I know are toxic. so here is the pic:

20121206_124650.jpg

Any Idea what it is and how to I get it off of basically all my rocks in my 90 gallon? Thanks :bounce:

Those do look like some sort of palythoa, but those are some really long lashes! They are toxic in the sense that all corals are toxic. But they aren't especially toxic and usually coexist with other corals just fine.

It will be tough to get rid of that many. Have you considered taking the rocks into a fish store? You could get store credit or some stores will just give you cash. They are a desirable coral and not considered a pest.

Okay Thanks here are some more pics just because I forgot to post them before. Im glad these are not a pest I just don't know how or where they came from and why they spread everywhere same as the feather dusters.
20121206_131050.jpg

20121206_124643.jpg

Those actually look like mojano anemones to me. If so, they are a pest, and the reason why your other corals were killed by them.

I can't see the pic from my work computer, but from the description I am guessing they are a majano relative. I know of one tank in this area that has pest anemones that sound exactly like what you've got. They look like large green button polyps with long lashes, sting like majanos and are harder to eradicate. And they do seem to take over and kill anything in their path. Aiptasia x is the way to go

I believe those are a type of colonial hydroids. If they are, their all but impossible to control or get rid of.

Back