Something is wrong with my coral

rems

Reefing newb
I have a finger leather coral and I purchased it about 2 1/2 weeks ago. It took a day or two to finally open up but it did and it looked beautiful. It stayed like that for about a week. Then it closed up again and has stayed that way for the past 5 days. I did a water change and that did not help. What do I do????

Attachments

• IMG_0340.jpg
    IMG_0340.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_6489.JPG
    IMG_6489.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 308
First things first we need your parameters:
SG
Temp
Nitrates
Nitrites
Ammonia
ph
light schedule
if you have these kits:
dKH
cal.
mag

Well, first it was in an upside-down tank, then it moved to a sideways tank. So that could be the problem... J/K. :)

Assuming you have good water parameters, all leathers do this as they acclimate to a new environment. Some leathers can take a few days, while some could even take weeks. My long tentacle toadstool took almost two months to fully extend polyps.
During this time they do random things like shed skin, extend polyps briefly, or extend polyps only from certain parts of their crown.

As long as the flesh itself does not appear to be disintegrating or melting away, then it would be safe to assume that the coral is still trying to get used to the new tank.

It also looks like your coral is some form of sinularia. That genus requires some calcium more so than other soft corals.

Rock I think you had it right with the upside-down tank. They looked at me funny here as I was doing a hand stand looking at the pictures :)

Back