Soo many questions - Newbie

rohan

Reefing newb
:sfish:Hi All,
I adopted a tank from my neighbor. 28g Nanocube. Never had coral before and I have a beautiful yellow leather coral that looks great one day and then looks bald the next day? Don't know what to do?
My other problem is that I have a film on the surface of the water. I suspect its the algae that I've cleaned off the glass?
Lastly, my gravel is getting a reddish tinge to it. algae? Is this bad? any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. thxs.:bowdown:

I may not be totally able to help you out, but I do know many will be asking what your parameters are. Do you have a test kit?

If so be ready with those numbers, so the really knowledgable can help you out in the best way possible.

Definitely get us some numbers. Is your substrate gravel like from a freshwater tank?
The film on the top of your water is protein build-up. Do you have any powerheads? One should be pointed at the surface of the water, which will help break that film up. (If you already have one pointed at the surface, you can soak up the gunk with a papertowel.)
And it is perfectly normal for your leather to retract it's polyps. :)

Welcome!

+1 Erin...and the red algae on the sand is probably cynobacteria or red slime algae, both of which you need to have some good flow across your sand to help eliminate it...and lots of water changes, preferably 10-20% per week.
Also, welcome to the site, glad to have you aboard. :)

Definitely get us some numbers. Is your substrate gravel like from a freshwater tank?
The film on the top of your water is protein build-up. Do you have any powerheads? One should be pointed at the surface of the water, which will help break that film up. (If you already have one pointed at the surface, you can soak up the gunk with a papertowel.)
And it is perfectly normal for your leather to retract it's polyps. :)

Welcome!
Guess I'll have to get a test kit. Any recommendations on what to get? My substrate is a very fine sandlike crushed coral? I already have a large snail but would a goby or some hermit crabs or something like that help to keep the sand clean? I do have two powerheads. I will adjust one towards the surface and see if that helps. Thxs and the papertowel trick worked well also. Guess I won't worry about the leather coral any longer either. Thxs. :bowdown:

Back