sorry to keep you waiting...

NewToThis

Reefing newb
https://www.livingreefs.com/heellpp-jumped-head-first-t31688p5.html
https://www.livingreefs.com/transporting-water-t32019p4.html

sorry for the 2 week delay... but without further hesitation...

181666_699754464525_24416836_37760920_7131950_n.jpg

I present to you my first fish tank ever! yay! :Cheers:

so, i decided to put it in my house instead of office. i figured it would be a better choice for a few reasons. also, when i went to go pick it up, he had a second fish tank.... and i ended up leaving with that one too. Hey, there was more space in the bed of the truck, so i figured... it couldn't hurt...

photo.php
180867_699754444565_24416836_37760919_2288915_n.jpg

a little smaller than the first one, but i don't know how many gallons. if anyone wants to buy it, it is for sale! comes with a pump underneath. i don't know much about it, but the stand looks really nice. i'll take whatever is a fair price.

pretty good start to a first-time fisher?

so on sunday, i'm getting a couple people who claim to know what they are doing, and we will get it up and running. for the last couple weeks, the water has been just sitting.

check list:
1. go to LFS and get water test kit, and salinity guage thing
2. test water
3. get pumps going and "sump" thing in bottom going
4. arrange rock
5. wait a day or two, and test water again
6. after a week or so of good water, drop a clown fish in and see what happens
7. flush it down the toilet when it dies
8. test water again
9. get back on LivingReefs Forum and ask why it died

am i missing anything?

Last edited:
dont do 6
fill that sucker with about a pound and half of rock per gallon and start lurking the forums to answer all the questions you didnt know you where gonna ask

It's good that you have a sense of humor 'cause you'll need it for this hobby!

Congratulations on your new tanks!!! Remember to take it slowly and do a lot of research first. And DON'T use fish to cycle your tanks, please.

ok, um,

cycle? is that when the water runs from the thing underneath? i'm going to get that going this coming sunday.

Last edited:
dont do 6
fill that sucker with about a pound and half of rock per gallon and start lurking the forums to answer all the questions you didnt know you where gonna ask

it has 80lbs of "cured live rock" in it right now, but you can't see it because i took the picture immediately after i poured the water back in. so it's all murky. i might add more.

It's good that you have a sense of humor 'cause you'll need it for this hobby!

haha, yeah... I have learned that already on the forum. thanks! :^:

if you google the dimensions you can find out how many gallon it holds, or do some simple math and find the same thing (google will convert ft3 to gallons)

I'm pretty sure I found it online
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Life-Rectangle-Acrylic-Aquarium/dp/B001EHGG74]click here[/ame]

I don't have the top for it, so do you think $300 is too much to ask for it? would it sell quickly at that price? What price would it sell quickly?

To find out the size of the tank do this...L x H x W divided by 231...That's how many gallons. And you might have a decent chance of selling it on here, if we new what city and state you were in.

atlanta

what is a fair price for it? 60 gallons, and it comes with the pump thing, but no canopy top thing.

Last edited:
Wow you have so much to learn young grasshopper! LOL

Please dont use a fish in your tank for at least a few weeks. If you have live rock that will help your tank to settle in much faster but never use a fish until you know the water is stable. You want to start of with a few crabs and snails after you let it sit for a couple weeks. You will start to see brown algae growing on everything then get a few snails and crabs. If they survive after a couple more weeks then try a hardy fish.

Dont use tap water from your sink it will be nothing but trouble go the the fish store and buy RO/DI water that is already salted for a tank.

Read and research everything before you buy or do anything. Ask lots of questions even if you think its stupid.

Good luck

Thanks for the replies everyone, I will get some snails!

We ended up transporting every drop of the 110 gallons of salt water, using home depot orange buckets.

Actually you dont have to wait until after adding your CUC to add your first fish. You just need to wait until your cycle is over, which you will know when this is by testing your water and following the cycle of ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.

But this doesnt mean its ok to throw fish in there willie nilly. Research first, then buy.

I did some aqua-scaping, and got my sump running. I am using the over-flows from the back of the tank going down to some sprinklers that are dripping the water over some fiber-glass sheets where my bacteria will build. I think my LFS guy called it a wet/dry. I will be upgrading to some high-tech filter with a flux capacitor and nasa thing that he wants to sell me, but I need to save a couple pennies first. My LFS said the fiberglass will work in the mean time.

If I am moving 1400 gph through these hoses of mine coming from my sump, do I really have to use power heads also?

181554_700943242205_24416836_37780164_6266044_n.jpg

180454_700945627425_24416836_37780245_4414453_n.jpg

Last edited:
1400 gph pump? If so then you're not actually getting 1400 gph into your tank. Also, if you've got a 110g then you are a little low on flow. In my 75 I've got a 700 gph return from my sump, 2x 1050gph powerheads and 2x 425gph powerheads

You lose a lot of GPH from head loss, which is why you have less than the actual 1400 gph and are going to need a few powerheads.

How much do I lose? I thought someone here told me 10 times my gallons (110 x 10 = 1,100). I figure even if I am losing some pressure, 1,400 should still be well inside a safe zone.

Explain?

Yes, you want 10x flowing through your sump/refugium. But, your DT will need more flow. How is your return plumbing setup? What type of pump, how long is the piping back to your DT, any check/ball valves, how many 90& 45 degree fitting?

Back