sos 911

spragoos

Reefing newb
Help please from those with experience. I have always had freshwater tanks and am familiar with cycling new tanks. However, inherited a set up, made a move two and a half weeks ago. fish n reef. Has been going well. Water parametes good. No amonia, ph 8.2, nitrites neg, today salinity is a little high ( need to add ro, but has been ok) had started getting some brown algae. Very suddenly, started loosing fish and all my soft corals dead.

Do I sit back and watch to let it cycle? Will probably loose what I have left? How could the water indices be normal? Should I check something else. Water change. Temperature fluctuates a little between evening and afternoon after lights on. Have timers set for blue t5, metal halide, and fans.

Had a slug, which died first and was removed (in pieces, maybe partially eaten?) Could a slug be poisonous?

Please respond someone with experience, I'm distraught

well 2.5 weeks is to soon to have anything in there is is to young yet.what is you s.g at start changing water every day to keep the tank from cycling or you will more than likely loose everything in the tank.

It was an already established tank that had to be moved. If it were cycling wouldn't my amonia/nitrites/nitrates be high. It was a sudden dive. I had fish and live rock/corals that came with tank.

they should be going up if that is the problem take some water to the lfs and have them test it to see if you test kit may be bad. also what is your specific gravity at. temp of water.

had started getting some brown algae. Very suddenly, started loosing fish and all my soft corals dead
That sounds very much like a cycle. The brown algae ususally goes right along with a cycle.
Sometimes during a move the sand gets stirred and this will cause a cycle.

If nothing else you have a salinity, stray voltage, or tempature problem along with excessive nutrients in the water that is causing the bloom.
I would lean toward a cycle though.

The specific gravity is 31, with the metal halides it warms the tank a bit during the day even with fans. at night I would let it sit 74-76by the heater. With lights it would get to 80 at most maybe yesterday (I wasn't home to watch) 81. Do you think the slug dieing could have a toxic release? I've changed out 10 gallons, and added 1 1/2 cups new carbon to filter

That is where you can chastize me. I don't really know. Bought it at lfs for salt water tanks. It was cute and only about an inch (wouldn't upset any balance). It was orange and black with a fuzzy circle thing on its back..reef safe they said. Eats microalgae. First question from my son is...did you research that? No

Just go to your local LFS, get a second opinion on your water test! Keep doing water changes and you should be alright. You might of started the cycle all over again when you moved your tank!

If it looked half as cool as some of the pictures I found while researching this animal I can see why you wanted it. Very cool. Bad news is that many of the Nudi's do release a toxin is distressed, and I would say dying is distressing. Heave chemical filtration is highly recommended and do water changes.
I have added a quote from some of the info I found.
The family of nudibranchs it belongs to, the Chromodorididae, are very interesting because they have very toxic chemicals in their skin to defend themselves from fish attack. Their bright colours warn fish of their nasty taste. Have a look at the pages on Colour Patterns & Defence, defensive glands, Mimicry and go to the Species List and look at some of the species listed under the family Chromodorididae to get an idea of the variety of shape and colour amongst the relatives of Chromodoris annae.

Yeah the slug might have had a hand in it. If it is a Nudi then when it ate all the alge out of your tank it could have starved to death.

All nudibranches release toxin when they die.Its their only defense from predators.But I doubt one nudi killed your tank.
I'm thinking along with James that the sand got stirred up and released a bunch of bad crap.
And you already got the right idea to get through the problem.

Went to to lfs, different salesman agreed big problem with slugs...he never sells them to anyone. This was a large one and after talking with family...the fish were eating it. They took it out in pieces, said it was emitting a green haze. Two clown fish were not eating it, two clowns which are still living. I have a yellow tang hanging in there and a coral shrimp is OK? snails/crabs dead.
All water indices still wnl per lfs.
If it wasn't a cycle problem, that will be next.

Put some fans on the tank.
It looks like your temp swings are too much if they are correct : 74-76 night & 80-81 during the day. That is a possible 6-7 degree swing which can also have a negative effect on your fish.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. If your fish were eating the nudi, then A) they must be dumb fish with no natural instinct and B) the nudi very well could have poisoned them. At this point, water changes are your best friend.

Do you have any sort of HOB or canister filter that you can put carbon in and run carbon? There is also type of filter media you can buy called ChemiPure. It will help remove any toxins that may still be in the water.

In addition to potential toxic releases from the nudi, it does sound like the tank is cycling. This is not uncommon when an established tank is moved, and again, water changes will be your best bet.

Messiah is right about the fans. You want to try to minimize your temp swings throughout a 24 hour period to 1 to 2 degrees. This is ideal, and not always realistic. You can buy a cheap clip-on fan from Walmart for $5 to $10, and clamp it on the side of your tank, blowing across the surface of the water while the lights are on. This will drop your temp by at least a few degrees.

Good luck, and please keep us updated as to how things go! Whatever happens, don't get discouraged. Every single one of us has had major setbacks that have resulted in one or all or our animals dying. It sucks, but we all know what you're going through and how panicking it is to have to deal with crap like that.

Back