South Carolina

Amlique

Cycling
Hello folks,

I am considering (again) getting into salt water aquariums, specifically reef. My plans are to begin with 120 gallons and take my time building a mostly self sustaining system (to the greatest extent possible). I've read and am currently rereading Conscientious Marine Aquarist and hope to begin setup in August.
I am not overly concerned with stocking fish, although I will strategically choose a few to keep other populations in check. I am mainly fascinated by the invertebrates so I hope to have a large population of all the favorites.
For now (until I can get exactly what I am looking for at the right $$) I am content to view the forums and admire the photos.
I will be sure to chronicle the steps I take to allow for input from the experienced minds here, as it will be appreciated.

Hello and Welcome!

It takes many, many years for a tank to become self-sustaining but planning for it now will help.

And keep on researching, its the best think you can do for yourself!

Wife: The book is great. The methodology is insightful. Its all about creating balance in your little ocean (septic tank). It demystifies a lot of fears, but also create different ones, (mainly about the origins of livestock as a way to promote sustainability in the oceans). Some stuff you may already know from independent research, and your presence on forums. It is still a good read none the less. I picked up my copy several years ago on ebay for a very reasonable price. I have somehow misplaced my reference book with the list of so many of the reef dwellers (can not recall the title offhand) that I purchased at the same time. Dr Something Marine Atlas I believe

_fish: Thanks. I have lurked several forums at various times throughout the period that I have been interested in pursuing this hobby and read suggested reading. I have always found some excuse to delay the start, (time, money, space) none of which have ever been a true reason. I believe I just never quite felt ready. I do not tend to jump into anything quickly and tend to be very patient. I understand what you mean about self-sustaining, that is my goal. Goals have steps, and I plan to take the necessary ones in a planned order. (Let's hope that nature blesses my attempt at playing god and goes along with the plan). As I mentioned, I will take my time. What I hope to accomplish is attempting to let the habitat naturally develop with as minimal influence as necessary beyond the initial setup and mandatory maintenance scheduling. I will not add organisms for aesthetic purposes and then attempt to manipulate the environment to accommodate it. Instead my goal is to introduce animals to control and enhance the environment and choose the specimen in a hopefully visually pleasing way.
Basically, not "Can I get away with introducing this 'xyz'?" but instead "What does this box of water need at this stage to flourish?" Of course, there are predetermined examples of proven methods (many illustrated on this very forum very effectively) that I plan to model after to a certain extent. I am amazed by the speed at which some tanks progressed. Some successfully and some with unfortunate casualties. I have learned from both, and will continue to do so over the coming weeks.

Last edited:
I do think that is very admirable, but i think once your tank is up and running, its going to be so different than what you envision.

Back