South Seas Base rock

Hornet

Reefing newb
I came across a guy on craigslist that has some "southseas base rock". He says it's been in his tank for 2 years so it's now cured. I don't usually see people talking about south seas rock so I googled it and came across a few vendors selling it.

I think I already know the answer but is there anything odd I should know about this stuff. I think I may pick some up for my new tank build. The guy is selling the stuff for $1lb. Sadly he does not have pictures and I need to make a short drive to inspect it.

This could save me some serious cash :bounce:. Anything I should look for if I go check this stuff out?

From what Ive just read on marinedepot it was formerly live rock at one point and now that its been in a tank it is again. For a buck a pound Id buy it all!

Just make sure it isnt really really full of algae that could mean that it is loaded with phosphates. Even if it is that could be remedied itll just take a few weeks(like 8-10) to cook the rock to remove the phos. Its a good deal either way.

Thanks for you input RyanG. The guy says he has 400 lbs I'm still probably 3 or 4 weeks away from putting water in my tank but for the price I can pick it up and put it in some tubs in my garage.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it but I'm still open to hear if anybody has bought some of this stuff. I'm going to email the guy back and make arrangements to meet him to take a look at it

that does not sound like a bad deal at all get it them scrub the hell out of it to get any crap off of it and put it in some tubs with good circulation and let it sit for awhile

If you buy all of it you could probably unload 100-150lbs at a LFS or to a private buyer for a lot of what you have into it.

I sent the guy an email back and will give him a call tomorrow to work out a time to meet. If everything looks cool I'll buy it.

Guess I need to go ahead an order my ro/di unit so I can make some water.

Back