Specifics on feeding my anemones

Reefmom

Reefing newb
I have a purple small sebae, a sun, and a 4" rock anemone. I was told at my LFS that they would NOT need feeding, they would live on micro-organisms in the water of my tank (I have a tank that has been running around a year) and they sited a gorgeous anemone in their show tank that had never been "fed", and was growing and has beautiful color. BUT - I keep reading that they require meaty foods, and herein lies my question!

I wondered, those of you who have anemones:
1.) how often
2.) how big a piece
3.) are pieces of tilapia filet O.K. to feed?

Or is it truly NECESSARY to feed them, as my LFS guy said??

Thanks in advance!!

O.K., well - the Sun and the Sebae seem to be O.K. with the pieces of Tilapia fillet ... the large kid, the Rock Anemone, is picky!! She spits out Tilapia - I brought her home some krill today, we shall see what she thinks of that. Sorry, to me, the anemones are "girls" - the tentacles just seem "girly" to me - LOLOL!! So the general concensus is, they HAVE to be fed, huh? Hmmm ... do they do any filter feeding, then? Just trying to gather information here - Dan, my LFS guy, seems very knowledgeable, and said it isn't really needed with an "established" tank, and I do phyto feed the corals, too. Sorry - a newbie here!!!:shock:

I have 3 BTA's. I rely on my clown fish to feed them. they host in all three and they drag food into them and regurgitate what they eat into it as well. Pretty cool to watch. They get half a silverside twice a week. they do great and have been doing well for 2 years. Hope this helps.

-Dr Marco:sfish:

i have a rbta for about 6 months now and a LT anemone for a couple month and been feeding them a whole silverside each once a week and they also get some from the rod's food i feed my tank every other day or so.

Back