Spider Fish... Spider Fish.. Watch out here comes the Spider Fish..

Tarpals

Reefing newb
I thought I would use this question to introduce myself.. I have been keeping African Cichlids for the past 20 years or so (Malawi) to be more specific - but have only been in salt for a few months now....

I Have a 65 with about 70lbs of live rock, two Button polyp colonies, a green star polyp colony, a leather coral, and a nice red colt. One scooter, one surviving p-clown, two blue devils, and a dozen or so blue leg hermits.

Now here comes the newbee question - why do I see thin wisps of what looks a lot like spider webs between my rocks and among my corals in the morning. The blue-Ds appear to enjoy breaking them up when the lights come on... But I can not find any explanation as to what or why they appear in the first place.

Any thoughts?

there is a type of worm kinda like a feather duster that uses a web to get food instead of feathers. Cant remember the name at the moment but its a hitch hiker on live rock and it isnt bad for the tank. Oh and welcome to the site.

sorry I was posting and drinking last night. Couldnt remember what it was. I havent had a beer in about a year so last night I was angry at my wife and drank a 6 pack.

Tks for all the great responses... Now here is another newbee question for you all - I have been told that little green bubble looking things growing on rock or corals are somewhat undesirable - these are the little somewhat hard dark green beads.

Now I have been plucking them when I see them but - I just moved some rock around and found a few clusters...

Question time... Does any thing eat them? Are they really that bad? Is this just a new tank thing & they will go away? Am I hallucinating and there really are no green beads?

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
:mrgreen::mrgreen::grumble::mrgreen::mrgreen:
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

They are bubble algae, and it is a pest. It's unlikely they'll go away on their own. Keep removing them by hand, but be careful not to pop them, as that's how they release their spores. Buy a couple emerald crabs, and they will usually munch on them.

Found one tonight in my Red Sea Max. They pop up from nowhere it seems. I've not witnessed my emerald crabs doing their job yet. Maybe at night.

Back