Spikes, Yikes

Slimkasey

Reefing newb
Just got my first 2 clowns the other day all was fine introduced nice, fed them took right to it, then came they're night feeding of mysis shrimp, what a mess that was, only half a cube of frozen, but they stopped eating, as the shrimp got to big for them. Anyhow, my ammo went through the roof this morning, so i have done a major tank clean, filter change everything, took a reading on the Ammon and the hi PH, and they are still top of the scale.

I have used Ammo Lock to keep the fish safe (any thoughts here?)
And what can I do about the Hi PH, can the fish last until morning?

Are they in a 2 gal as your profile states? That's an awfully small space for 2 of them. It's no wonder there was a spike. So, if I understand correctly, you fed them half a cube of food? That could also be another cause for the spike. You need to do some water changes asap. Look at it in this perspective....I have 9 fish in my 125g....they get 1 cube of frozen food. They will eat and eat until they pop if I let them, but bearing in mind what goes in must come out. I stop at 1 cube.

Yea, that small of a tank is going to react very quickly to whatever you put in there. Any chance of adding a sump or hang on fuge?? Even that would increase your water volume.

Thank you to all, got on the water change, near 70%, vacuumed the sand, and the fish seam to be happier than they were, they are a little off eati right now, so I'll monitor that, the ammo, the ph, the salinity is great finally.

Is there some thing a person can do for lowering PH?

+1 lilfish One of the big problems with a tank that small is that it will be prone to rapid parameter swings. PH changes depending on the time of day as it is. Those of us who have a fuge either run the fuge lights opposite the main tank lights to keep ph balanced. If you don't have a fuge, then you should check your ph at the same time everyday to ensure an accurate reading.

But again, in a 2g, you're setting yourself up for a lot of problems by having 2 fish in there. How high is your PH now?

Readings as of 7:03 mst.
PH 7.5-8
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
KH: 1.2-1.8
GH: 1.8 (are these levels any good)
Ammo: in the 4 range.
Salinity: 1.024

When things spike through the cycle, how fast does each spike take?

Thank you all for your concern, it's been a huge benefit being a part of this community, and I have been taking nearly everyone's ideas, I'm doing daily water changes, nearly a cup a day, and I've now made my own saltwater, and that's thanks to everyone.

I've had problems through my fresh tank, and there is no way I want to go through that again with the salties.

You guys keep me informed, I really appreciate everyone willing to share.

Yep, and stirring up the sand by vacuuming it was most probably didnt help. Get a decent tank, 1 fish per ten gallons. You are just hurting them the way they are mate, people see that as animal cruelty. Just take them back, a 20 gallon is not too much out of pocket. And its more rewarding in the long term/

Thank you all so much, I will return the little one tomorrow am.

Any thoughts of cool stuff for a micro reef, I guess that's what I'm trying for?

Back