Splinter looking things

what i have read says ro/di water or if you dont have that decholarnated tap water.ph should match the tank he is in now, use the biggest container you can and add some nitrate remover a lot of dechlornators have that in it. also a ammonia remover because the fish will probably go potty in the water. they say it is normal for the fish to lay on the bottom of the contanier and it should turn to its normal upright postion after a minute and you can gently nudge it to stimulate if needed. the time it stays in there is where i read so many different things. anywhere from 3 to 10 minutes, from what i read the worms will die and fall off almost instantly so i would go 31/2 minutes the first time unless he becomes to stressed then remove him sooner. then repeat in the 3 days how many times i am not sure i would assume just watch him and if the black spots go away then he should be ok and not need anymore but he has to stay in qt for a month to be sure. oh and change the qt tank water after the second bath before you put him back in.

dont know if he will get reinfested i guess it depends on if it got it before you brought it home or was it after? i think live span is a 4 or 5 weeks for the worm wihout a host so i would put him back in if he gets it again then you'll have to treat the whole tank. try to find a predator of the worms while he is qt to clean out the dt tank?

Got the dip ready...too bad i can't catch the tang :( One of the hard parts of having a large tank. I didn't chase too hard, cuz he's already stressed. He's breathing heavily now though :( Gotta just buy my time.

Man this dip is causing ME more stress than the tang so far LOL

Ok, dip is done. He was actually ok looking, just breathing hard of course. Problem is, I didn't see much of the black things jump off. They're still on him. So anyway, I was able to keep him there for 15 minutes (as he was fine, not thrashing, just swimming in slow circles -- I've read they can stay there as long as an hour if they're not distressed). I've put him in the rinse-off tank water, then netted him out and put him in qt.

I received the paraguard today, and I will put some in, BUT apparently it doesn't treat for internal worms :( What can I use? Should I hold off on treating w/ paraguard?

I'm just hoping he survives this. Ironically, he was calm in the freshwater dip, but was jerky in the rinse off qt water (which was warmer than the dip water), and is just sitting in one corner of the qt.

Actually, now, upon closer inspection, I don't see any more black things. :D Dunno if he's doing so hot though...he's upright, but just sitting at the bottom, and breathing really rapidly (of course, I expected this cuz of what he has just been put through). So now, I'm just on tang watch. I hope he makes it!

I've decided to do a hypo on the dt. If I put him in there, he might get reinfected. So I figured, since he'll be in QT for a while, I might as well hypo the dt.

Sadly, I don't think he'll make it...after hours of him breathing hard in the qt, he's now breathing slower, but can barely stay upright. He's having to lean on the walls to stay upright, otherwise, he falls flat. Sad, but i am not surprised. Thanks everyone for the advice! It was a learning experience.

LOL...maybe I had TOO many updates :D That's what happens when the anxiety levels go up...need to vent, and what better place to do it than a place where everyone knows what the hell you're talking about LOL

I'll just be keeping an eye on the others. If they're all well, then hopefully that means the tang did not drop any parasite eggs. But I might do hypo sometime just to be sure.

Back