splotches of color what are they?

Rich

Reefing newb
4 weeks into my reef tank waiting for it to cycle and this morning i noticed what I would describe as rusty looking splotches in the sand. Anyone know if its good or bad? :sfish:

algae build up most likely.To much is not good.Do you have your clean up crew yet?.If not stir the sand a little bit and the filter should pick it up.Also if you don't have anything in there yet leave the lights off while the cycle finishes.

Thanks but I dont think I should leave the lights off. I mean the cycle could take months right? light off for months means no growth right? I will stirr the sand. Too early for clean up crew, or am i wrong- 4 weeks? stuff not growing yet etc.
let me know! :frustrat:

I think you could add some verious type of snails at this point.They will keep the sand stired up.If they run low on food you can drop an algae(spiralina) disk and they will go to town on it.I have purchased theese guys in the past for my 29 gallon and they keep the sand stired and the glass clean.Here is one auction but there are a lot to choose from. 25 -50 should do
http://cgi.ebay.com/50-Of-the-best-...724551071QQcategoryZ66788QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

my aquarium guy says the tank is starting to cycle and thats algea- normal rust color for the bottom of the tank-will cycle through just dont let it get to bad- sound ok?
:sfish:

so far rich it sounds like you have a knowledgeable lfs who is advising you in the right direction. good luck. just part of the cycle process.

Back