sponge propagation and hello to all

mslcky

Reefing newb

Hi everyone! Since I have absolutely no idea as to what I am doing here just let me get to the point. I have been into saltwater off and on for many years, but have never had sponges. My brother, twotall has a new spong(not sure what kind) that he would like to share with me. My question is, "is there any way, and if so how, to propagate a piece of it for my aquarium?" I would appreciate any info.
mslcky
dalton,ga.

Wlecome to livingreefs!! Sorry I dont know anything about sponge fragging, however I'm sure someone on here will. Good luck.

You will need to be very careful when dealing with sponges as a lot are toxic. Do not handle a sponge with the bare hands. Never let air come in contact with a sponge. keep submurged all the time. You can use a very sharp set of stainless cutters (not bone cutters) and cut off a small piece, transfer to your system and use a rubber band to hold the piece to a rock. acclimate and put where it can feed and get good water circulation. No garuntees here. good luck and keep us posted. Welcome to the site. (Personally I do not propagate sponges due to the toxcidity issue).

Hello and welcome to the reefs I just have to touch on this issue as John stated most of your sponges are infact toxic if they come in contact with air they start to die, if there not in high enough water movement algae will clog there poures causing them to die thats where your toxicity will come into play as they die they will release a toxin much like an anemone causeing you a world of head and heartache please be careful and do your research. Hope this helps.

Back