Sponges - care/how many are ok?

koda_dad

Mr. Paranoid
Hi all,

I purchased the blue sponge that is shown here (this a crappy camera phone shot before I bought it as my lights are off)
bluesponge.jpg

and this is another sponge that I am thinking of getting... (I think it is the same kind just another color)
orangesponge.jpg

What care is needed, what conditions are best etc...any problems having two? (My blue one is in lower light and decent, but not strong flow and seems to be doing fine)

Lastly, anyone know what these are called?

I have the orange sponge that you have in the picture, I also have a red boring sponge. I don't do anything to them or for them except wipe them off periodically when they look a little "dusty"...and I drop phytoplankton in the tank a couple times per week. Phytomax

Other than that, just don't ever let them out of the water.

I have the orange sponge that you have in the picture, I also have a red boring sponge. I don't do anything to them or for them except wipe them off periodically when they look a little "dusty"...and I drop phytoplankton in the tank a couple times per week. Phytomax

Other than that, just don't ever let them out of the water.

hmmm I read that about not out of water ever..... I unfortunately, read it after I got the blue one.

It was taken from the lfs and placed in a bag..... out of water there.... (not long of course)

Then I drip acclimated the sponge, grabbed the rock it was attached to and placed in the tank. (out of water there again not long though)

that was about a week ago and all seems okay...... what happens? or was I just lucky? or could it just not be showing any signs of problems yet?

What is the best way to get this new one home?

Being exposed to air doesn't always kill them, but it does enough that it's not advisable. Have the LFS bag it under the water and fill the bag completely with water. Then when you get it to your tank, acclimate it normally, making sure it isn't exposed to air, and when you put it in the tank, completely submerge the bag so that you don't have to take it out of the water.

Being exposed to air doesn't always kill them, but it does enough that it's not advisable. Have the LFS bag it under the water and fill the bag completely with water. Then when you get it to your tank, acclimate it normally, making sure it isn't exposed to air, and when you put it in the tank, completely submerge the bag so that you don't have to take it out of the water.

The tank it is in has tons of red bubble algae and aiptasia.... would I then risk adding spores to my tank?

You would be running that risk whether the sponge was exposed to air or not -- the spores are in the water and could hitch hike on the sponge itself. Why is the tank in such bad shape? Be wary of buying livestock from unhealthy looking tanks.

k... pass on that sponge :) Thanks all. This is not a place I usually buy things from... its at a Pets Unlimited (not sure what the US equivalent is)

Its nice...not worth the risk.. there will be others. The blue one came from my regular guy.

well, first sponge are not phtosynthetic., So placement is not a problem. if your sponge is getting "dusty" as you put it, the flow is not right. If the flow is lacking then "dust" will gather and collect on the sponge. Sponge are filter feeders and live food is best. Yeah you can use the shelf garbage that pet stores sell, but god only knowns how long its been sitting.. Sponge take a long time to "eat" so it would be in your sponge best intrest to turn the return pump off and leave your TOR pumps on to move and keep the food in suspension, allowing the filter feeders to consume the food and not rot and waste away in the skimmer.

well, first sponge are not phtosynthetic., So placement is not a problem. if your sponge is getting "dusty" as you put it, the flow is not right. If the flow is lacking then "dust" will gather and collect on the sponge.

Sure, but when you move things around in the tank the little dust up form the sand will dust the sponge, the flow isn't an issue on my end. It's just me with my damn hands in the tank all the time.

Back