Spots

Bashbro

Reefing newb
well... i just started my tank. see thread ...

just saw this..
Spots.JPG

LFS guy said just bring the salt content really low and itll go away. when its gone for a couple days in a row slowly bring the salt back up.

advice?
oor0lMS3-qLgUw0Kh1EjUlxXtwAtq4M_nuseGAUCrac

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, do you have any inverts in your tank? Lowering the salinity with them in the tank will end up killing them

Yeah... That was bad advice. Lowering salinity for a couple days won't kill anything. 1 to 2 months, yes. But it will also kill every non-fish in your tank. If you do hyposalinity treatment (lowering the salinity), it needs to be done in a quarantine tank, it needs to be done very carefully, and very controlled. And you need to drop it gradually to 1.009 or so. Much lower than your fish store guy probably told you to. And it needs to be done for at least 4 to 8 weeks. And you need to do it for every single fish in the tank, as they are all currently carrying the disease. Nothing that is not a fish will survive, so that's why they need to be quarantined.

That's one way to go. The other way is to just try to let your fish fight it off themselves.

Yeah, we did mention to you that your LFS was way off in telling you to put fisn in an uncycled tank. I'd send all 3 fish back to the LFS personally, and let your tank cycle for a month. Have you bought test kits yet?? If not, you really must buy a kit and a refractometer to check your salinity.

Seriously...we only want to give you a good start to your aquarium, so please listen to our advice instead of the LFS -- return the fish, cycle the tank with just fish food or table shrimp, check your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates -- and salinity, before you add any more fish.

Out of curiosity, which LFS did you go to? I know of 2 reputable ones. Hopefully you did not go to Wally's Aquarium or Super Petz (ironically both are in Annandale) :shock:

If you are cycling the tank with fish (as you are), then that is a good reason why they are starting to get sick. A new tank is very stressful on fish (even hardy fish like damsels and clowns). That is why most of them do not survive the cycle. Using live fish as a sacrifice is never a good way to start off your tank, so others are right when they say to take the fish back and let your tank cycle without them.

Back