Spotted Mandarin Question

tritan

Reefing newb
Ive had had a spotted mandarin for about 4 months and he was "supposedly" tank bred and eats frozen. He just goes around all day picking and picking but I've never actually seen him chase frozen but he has been plump so I wasn't too concerned. I then bought a orange spotted goby to sift and clean up my sand some and have noticed that the mandarin has slimmed down quite a bit. Do you think the orange spotted is cleaning the sand too much to the point that the mandarin has nothing?

It's possible that it hasn't been getting food the whole time and is just now starting to look thin. It can actually take a while for a fish to starve to death, especially if it's getting a little but to eat.

I doubt the goby cleaning the sand had much to do with it, most of your pods will hide in the rockwork.

I have two madarins that were petty thin for a long time. I set up a "mandarin diner" and started with daphne, then baby brine and finally blood worms. The male learned first and seems to like the blood worms best. After a week or two the female followed suit and now they are fat and healthy. These days I do blood worms with a pipette and wait until I see the mandarins, then when they come up I shoot some into the macro or rocks they are near and they go collect.

Back