Spring vs Reverse Osmosis

mcmusashi5

Octopus Wizard
So I was wondering, which one is better for our aquariums? I think this was posted a very long time ago on the site, but I forget the answer.

The water will still have phosphates in it, which will support a bloom of algae. The reason people use RO/DI water is because it is just H2o... nothing else.

There's no benefits to it really. You'll have to transport the distilled water back and forth, and it'll cost more then RO/DI.

RO/DI has a higher start up cost since you have to buy the unit. But making the water will cost less then buying (plus the gas it costs to drive to the store).

I ment to add "RO/DI or Distilled water". But, I believe that RO/DI and distilled water can be treated as the same. Both should be just pure water. Just different methods. Someone can correct me if im wrong.

The OP was talking about water from a natural spring. Which would not be considered RO/DI or Distilled water.

You are correct about the different methods. I thought the OP meant spring water as regular bottled water (like Poland Spring).

You shouldn't use spring water because it has added minerals to it for our taste...those added minerals are not good for our systems. R/O water has been stripped of everything and is safer because of that.

You shouldn't use spring water because it has added minerals to it for our taste...those added minerals are not good for our systems. R/O water has been stripped of everything and is safer because of that.
Either you explain things well or you break it down barney style for me LOL

Actually the one that i found had no additives at all.

it was like staters brand

Like Stater Brothers Store???
Really? Honestly I wouldnt trust it....just because it doesnt say its in there doesnt mean it isnt. Actually in a lot of foods and drinks certain levels of things only have to be reported to the consumer when it reaches a certain level.....

I'm not sure about the name, but I believe all spring water has minerals/elements added to it. So be careful. If you have no other option, then yeah, it's better than tap water, but not better than r/o.

you need more faith :P

LOL I am an admitted perfectionist. I dont like to "make do" but I am always looking for the cheapest way to do things. That in mind sometimes spending the good money up front for the right stuff ends up saving you more money and heartache later.

Save a penny spend a fortune...

Back