SPS Colors Starting To Fade

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
Recently over the past 2-3 weeks the colors on most of my SPS are looking a little dull. I've looked at pics I've taken over the past month and they definitely confim the color change.

I tested all my levels yesterday at home and a 2nd time at my friends store and got nearly the same results. The only thing that was off was my DKH which was at 6-7. I normally try to keep it at 9-10.

Do you think that the low alk could be causing the color fading? I slowly started to increase on my alk dosing yesterday and this morning. Hopefully I'll have it back up to the proper range in a few days.

PH - 8.2-8.3
Amm - 0
Nrate - 0
Nrite - 0
Calc - 420-430
Alk - 6-7dkh
Mag - 1350

I'm having sort of the same issue Dave. I have no idea what's causing it. I started running BRS bio-pellets about a month ago to see if that makes any difference.

My parameters are very close to yours too. I just tested everything this AM.
pH - 8 ish
nitrate - undetectable
phos - undetectable
ca - 400
alk - 8.5 dKH
mag- 1350

Hey Hiker I don't think it is the alk. I am always trying to keep mine a 10ish but it requires constant dosing. if I miss a day or two its back a 6or7 dkh, but all my sps seem colorful and growing. Its been like this from the start of my tank. I am not an expert on this its just my experience.

Browning of SPS can be associated with nitrates, are your test kits out of date maybe?

My kit is up to date and that's why I had my water tested twice by 2 different sets of kits. Both came up with nearly the same results. Some minor fluctuation in alk, calc and mag due to it being different brands of test kits than what I used.

I'm having sort of the same issue Dave. I have no idea what's causing it. I started running BRS bio-pellets about a month ago to see if that makes any difference.

My parameters are very close to yours too. I just tested everything this AM.
pH - 8 ish
nitrate - undetectable
phos - undetectable
ca - 400
alk - 8.5 dKH
mag- 1350

Well, if you figure it out please let me know. I'm at a loss right now. Kelvin and I have been trying to brainstorm to figure out what it may be, but we're both stumped. :confused:

any leathers in there? do you run carbon, if the water is starting to yellow it will cut par

I do have 1 small cabbage leather in there and its doing just fine like always. Water seems to be quite clear and I did a large water change 2 days ago. Not running carbon at the moment.

Well, if you figure it out please let me know. I'm at a loss right now. Kelvin and I have been trying to brainstorm to figure out what it may be, but we're both stumped. :confused:
I really don't know Dave. I've been running GFO and ROX carbon forever so I doubt it's a nutrient problem. If anything it may be a lack of some element but I'm not about to try dosing all kinds of stuff not knowing what it does. Whatever it is, it's only affecting SPS. I have a small LPS (torch) frag which is growing fine and looks good and all my zoas still look good and are multiplying as usual.

Like anything else with a reef system, nothing good happens overnight. I'm going to see if those BRS bio-pellets do anything and take it from there.

Last edited:
If your colors are fading and not browning. I think it might be a nutrient problem but not what you think. Your water might be to clean. Try feeding a little more or add another fish. I run into this sometimes when I am vodka dosing.

Tested my alk this morning and its back up to 9dkh. That's about where I like to keep it. Hopefully this will do the trick. We'll see in a few weeks I guess, but hopefully sooner.

A little update on how things are going. I raised my Alk too quickly which caused most of my SPS to bleach. Some bleached a lot and others only a little bit. As of this past weekend the color are finally starting to come back and things are looking better. My Alk is holding strong at 9dkh with my new dosing increase.

Not sure what kind of SPS you have but I ran across this in my readings today and thought of your issue....

Acropora red bugs Identification:
et_parasite_redbug1.gif
One of the most recent "pests" who have now become prevalent is a very small crustacean that looks like a mite and appears to prefer most species of Acropora corals. This crustacean is yellow in color with a red dot, approximately 1/2 mm in length, and is very difficult to see without a magnifying glass. It has been theorized that red bugs are either a parasitic form of copepod or micro-amphipod, though very little research has been done and their true identification is not complete at this time.
Symptoms and signs:
a_et_parasites_2.jpg
It has been speculated that the crustacean feeds off of the slime and waste products produced by the Acroporas. If you have an established colony of Acropora sp. that begins losing coloration and stops showing normal polyp extension, take a closer look at the tissue of the coral for any small yellowish/red specks. It is oftentimes easiest to distinguish these pests on the shadowed underside of a branch. An infected colony of Acropora will typically show poor or no polyp extension, and will slowly lose coloration over time. As a result of this infestation, it has been found that the growth rate of the colony is seriously affected, and may even result in death to the coral itself.
It is not clear why these bugs prefer certain species of Acropora over others, nor is it clear why they are not found on other SPS corals such as Montipora, Pocillopora, or Seriatopora.

Thanks Amber. I did think of redbus and to my inspection I don't have any. I have checked over several different acro's with a magnifying glass and nothing. I really do think it was the alk issue and I slacked off on water changes a bit over the holidays.

Not sure what kind of SPS you have but I ran across this in my readings today and thought of your issue....

Acropora red bugs Identification:
et_parasite_redbug1.gif
One of the most recent "pests" who have now become prevalent is a very small crustacean that looks like a mite and appears to prefer most species of Acropora corals. This crustacean is yellow in color with a red dot, approximately 1/2 mm in length, and is very difficult to see without a magnifying glass. It has been theorized that red bugs are either a parasitic form of copepod or micro-amphipod, though very little research has been done and their true identification is not complete at this time.
Symptoms and signs:
a_et_parasites_2.jpg
It has been speculated that the crustacean feeds off of the slime and waste products produced by the Acroporas. If you have an established colony of Acropora sp. that begins losing coloration and stops showing normal polyp extension, take a closer look at the tissue of the coral for any small yellowish/red specks. It is oftentimes easiest to distinguish these pests on the shadowed underside of a branch. An infected colony of Acropora will typically show poor or no polyp extension, and will slowly lose coloration over time. As a result of this infestation, it has been found that the growth rate of the colony is seriously affected, and may even result in death to the coral itself.
It is not clear why these bugs prefer certain species of Acropora over others, nor is it clear why they are not found on other SPS corals such as Montipora, Pocillopora, or Seriatopora.

BAD NEWS! I checked again when I got home from work just to be sure. Last time I checked was about 3 weeks ago. I definitely have red bugs. There are thousands of them on about 90% of my acros. Milles, digi's, monti's are all fine. What do I do now?

Back