SPS/LPS corals

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
How can you tell when these corals are doing well? How do they usually die?

With the LPS, I'd imagine they start to shrivel up then kinda brown over.
With the SPS, is it common to see some skeleton and just see it start spreading?

My two examples.

Torch Coral: He looks healthier here than he did at the pet shop.
Corals007.jpg

Here's the one I shouldn't have bought:
Corals006.jpg

Fish shop said it was cats claw: Either pavona or poci, he wasn't sure. I ask about the bleaching because at the base of this coral I see some whitening. Not sure if it was there when I bought it(didn't closely inspect it), or if it's already dying.

Is that how it starts, does it spread? Or is that common where it's been fragged?

Theres nothing wrong with that torch.It looks good and healthy to me.
What you'll notice fist with sick LPS and SPS,is that there is little no polyp extension,then usually bleaching.
Both those look good to me.

Thanks Yote. It's still really early to tell, only had them a few days now. I was actually pretty embarrassed with myself for buying them, but the store had a sale! I got both for 17$ each, I think that's a decent enough deal, especially the way stuff seems to be priced in my area.

Can you even see polyp extension on the SPS's? What does it look like? Like little fuzz?

Also, every morning the torch looks a little shriveled. I assume that's normal.

Yeah,That Pavona will look fuzzy when the polyps are extended.Just keep an eye on your calcium,alkalinity,and magnesium levels,as those are very important with SPS/LPS corals.

Thanks again. The LFS sold me this oyster feast stuff. He recommended putting .5-1 tsp in every 2nd or 3rd day. He said just to pour it into a high flow area so it can be distributed to the rest of the tank.

Is that the best way to do it?

Thanks! I figured it was too. I would have spent a LOT more there but I enjoy sleeping in my bed at night. Got in enough trouble as it was :P

When I do water changes that SPS is going to be out of the water for a good 5 or so minutes. Is that OK?

Well, I was planning on doing 20% changes weekly. If I did two 10% changes it would be above water. Would that be better for it? Since there's only a couple inches from the base of the coral to the surface, would I be better to put the coral a little bit lower?

Thanks again. The LFS sold me this oyster feast stuff. He recommended putting .5-1 tsp in every 2nd or 3rd day. He said just to pour it into a high flow area so it can be distributed to the rest of the tank.

Is that the best way to do it?

He suckered you on that one.You shouldnt need to actually add anything to feed your corals just yet.But your new torch will appreciate a squirt of mysis from time to time when you feed your fish.

Well, I was planning on doing 20% changes weekly. If I did two 10% changes it would be above water. Would that be better for it? Since there's only a couple inches from the base of the coral to the surface, would I be better to put the coral a little bit lower?

Right now,that Pavona really needs to be down lower.You'll have to acclimate your corals to your light.So start all new corals on the sand,then slowly work them up just a little bit over 2 or 3 weeks time.If your not careful,they'll bleach from the light being different than what their used to.

Yote: That was a concern of mine too. That xenia came from his tank with only T5's. I didn't even think about it and put it up high, in 4 hours it was wilted, the head was touching the ground...

The pavona on the other hand. He said it came from a tank with MH lighting(1K watt tank), so said it should not need to be acclimated. Do I follow the acclimation procedure anyway? My only concern is that I don't have a lot of flow at the bottom of the tank.

Do you think that's low enough for now? Not sure how fast or how this stuff grows. If it gets tall I should really probably put it lower.

Last edited:
Theres a lot of variables in lights.The store may have the exact same light at the exact same wattage,and even the same color bulb.But you have no way of knowing if the spectrium the stores light is producing is the same as your light.His lights may run longer during the day,or be older or newer.
All that plays a part in the usuable light the corals getting.

Ahh. OK. I'll go ahead and drop it down to the sand for now then. How long does it take to bleach them? It's been gettign 10 hrs a day since Saturday.

Also, take a look at this and let me know what you think. I saw that little white spot this morning. Not sure if it's dying or what's going on but that's NEW! It's kinda hard to see, it's on the tallest branch on the left side.

corals1002.jpg

Ahh. OK. I'll go ahead and drop it down to the sand for now then. How long does it take to bleach them? It's been gettign 10 hrs a day since Saturday.

Also, take a look at this and let me know what you think. I saw that little white spot this morning. Not sure if it's dying or what's going on but that's NEW! It's kinda hard to see, it's on the tallest branch on the left side.

corals1002.jpg

Its hard to tell from the pic.It could be trying to bleach,But dont hold me to that.
SPS arent the easiest corals to start with though.So just keep a close eye on your parameters.Namely nitrates,cal,alk,and mag.Once you add SPS to the tank,the trates really need to be less than 5,preferably undectable.

You are definitely right yote. I knew I should have passed on it, but I was having fun spending money!

I moved it down lower last night. Start acclimating it like I should have to start. I'm also doing more water changes than normal. Going to do 10% 3 or 4 times a week, nitrates right now are at 10. Hell, could be 5 but these dumb test kits don't show a color difference from 5 to 10, at least to me eyes anyway.

Thanks for the help!

Back