SPS Spawn???!!!

JAG107

Reef enthusiast
If this is what I think it is, then :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

WOW! The walls of my frag tank is now covered with these polyps, which indeed look sps-y. They weren't there yesterday. I don't have any LPS in the system which could have done this, I definitely think it's sps. Which species could it be? I have several acros, seriatoporae, montis, pocillopora, stylos...I don't think it's acro because the polyps don't look right, but I can't tell for sure. What do you guys think?

Here's a FTS of the frag tank (sorry it's blurry, crap kodak P&S)

Congratulations Pappy :D

This is just a guess.But I'm sayin pocillopora.

Reckon you got enough frags growing in there? :D Thats a great looking frag tank.

biff, the pics suck :( they are immobile, have not moved at all since I saw them. They have definite sps polyp structure, and seem to have greenish to purplish tint to them, greener at the base, purple at the tips. I'm also agreeing with the pocillipora idea here...
I will def. keep the pics coming as they grow. :)

ok I haven't seen much growth yet, as they are very tiny and will probably take awhile to amass some polyps. I'll post up some pics soon...

OK, here's some updated pics from today as promised:

Looks like they've almost doubled in size in the 2-3 weeks they've been there.
Another theory I heard from a friend--perhaps the colony shed polyps, he's heard of poci's doing that. That's a new one to me, though.

Yeah I'm sorry the pic quality is so low. It seems to lose a lot of clarity in the upload for some reason, because they look a whole lot better on my desktop than on the post. Maybe someday I'll break down and buy a decent camera for everyone's benefit!

Pocillopora do reproduce by polyp bailout.But they are also known to spawn in our tanks:D
And those DO look like Pocillopora to me.

Time for an update:
They are all still alive, and have at least tripled in size since the last post.

I took a couple that were growing near the surface and glued them to a little piece of LR, and those ones have grown much faster than the ones that grew sideways on the sides of the tank. More direct light=more growth!

Back