SPS Tanks/Salt mix

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
Just curious what you guys/gals are using for salt mix in your SPS tanks? Also, include what you are having to dose?

Me, I am using Reef Crystals and the only thing I am dosing is Kalk (Pickling Lime). I am looking for a different salt mix because of low DKH.

I hardly call my tank an SPS tank with only six SPS corals.I use Kent Marine salt and dose Kent Liquid Reactor only,once a week.

I don't have an "SPS tank" either. I have probably about a dozen SPS in my tank, and I use any of these types of salt: Kent Marine, Seachem Reef or Oceanic, depending on what's on sale at the time.

SPS tank, where? Reef Crystals is made by instant Ocean. Instant Ocean has a higher dKH than Reef Crystals and a lower calcium level. It is impossible to have a high DKH and a high Calcium. In order to have a really high calcium level you must lower your dKH and vice versa, to have a high DKH you must have a lower calcium level. Both can not be high, so a intermediate level is chosen for you by Instant Ocean as in for people who want a high calcium level they get it but they get a level so high that it requires the lowering of the normally high dKH to obtain it. I use Instant Ocean which has a higher dKH, but also use Kalkwasser. To obtain a higher Calcium level I add a little bit of white vinegar to the water I use to make my Kalkwasser and add about 25 to 30 percent more calcium hydroxide. This is the only calcium supplementation I use. I maintain calcium levels at 425 to 450. I have a consistently high dKH (typically 12), but not excessively high. You do not divulge your dKH, but as long as it is 10 or more I would not worry. I would consider switching to Instant Ocean though if you use Kalkwasser continous for all make up water as Kalkwasser used long term tends to lower the dKH and Instant Ocean has a higher dKH that Reef Crystals. This would be a much cheaper alternative to a Calcium Reactor, but a reactor does increse a tanks dKH when used long term.

Last edited:
I always enjoy reading fatman's replies, but this one sort has me scratching my head.

It is impossible to have a high DKH and a high Calcium.

I maintain calcium levels at 425 to 450.
While I wouldn't say 425 is high, 450 is on the high side.

I have a consistently high dKH (typically 12)
Yeah, I would say that's on the high side.

Back to the topic.....I use Red Sea Coral Pro.

Fatman, thanks for the info. I will be thinking about switching back to Instant Ocean. How many SPS do you have in your tank?

Also, how do you feel about mixing salt brands. Like mixing Oceanic and Instant Ocean. Because Oceanic has a high calcium level and Instant ocean has a high DKH level

Wall to wall. It is a simple thing with alkalinity or calcium. Either one is high or the other. Not both. A medium is hard to reach and takes time. It can be done a little easier with the use of acid, like through carbonic acid made through use of CO2 as in a calcium reactor or through the use of a little acid to increase the calcium level of your Kalkwasser. Straight calcium chloride will cause a ionic imbalance when used with a low pH water. An ionic imbalance will typically cause you to be unable to raise your pH to normal levels even after raising your dKH all the way to 14. Requires lots of water changes to correct. I shoot for a calcium level of 425, occasionally if I use to much Kalkwasser and end up with a 450, usually during the summer when I have the highest evaporation and thus use the most Kalkwasser. I just use less calcium hydroxide and no acid and that brings it back to a more reasonable 425.

Damn dude, I appreciate your expertice, but you make things complicated, more than they have to be, haha.

Back to my question, how do you feel about mixing salt brands?

Last edited:
Interesting article:
http://www.northcoastmarines.com/salt_comparison.htm

I guess it's all junk except for Marine Environment. :roll:

I think I'm gonna just buy 2 or 3 buckets of different salts and mix them all together.
Funny how almost anybody can find one report that supports their desire to make money with a specific product. Ask a statistician how to get the reportable results you want and they will tell you get more data or opinions. Science is when different persons perform the same tests and get repeatable results, and when the methodology of those tests stands up to peer scrutiny as being the best methodology to use. One test is opinion and little more. Get enough opinions and someone will always eventually give the answer you always wanted. Besides trace elements are cheaply added and best supplied by dissolving aragonite in a deep sand bed.

Last edited:
On the topic of salts having low hardness is there a cheaper way than buying aquarium dosing supplies to raise that to make the balance before dripping kalk? I ask this because i use Oceanic Natural Sea Salt and my dKH comes out at 6 with calcium at 420ppm i am content with the calcium but I use alot of reef builder bringing alk up to acceptable levels.

I would really question the accuracy of a dKH reading of only 6. You have almost no buffering capacity at all with a dKH of 6. Your Ph would drop at the toss of the hat. Check your pH at night a few hours after your lights go out. If your dKH was really that low your pH would drop severely at night as it would have to little buffer to cancel out the carbonic acid formed by the carbon dioxide that builds after the lights go out. Also you would have difficulty or maybe even find it impossible to maintain a high pH at any time with a low buffering capacity. A dKH of 8 is the bottom end of acceptable. I have heard of manufacturers sacrificing to much alkalinity to provide a high calcium level, but if your readings are accurate Oceanic is getting ridiculous. If that is a true reading I would change salt mixes, not try to balance out a mix that is that far out of proper proportions. You really do not need calcium levels above 350 if your not trying to make money growing corals. Growth of stoney corals and coraline will be slower, but your tank will be more stable with a high dKH and a moderate calcium level.

Back