Square or Rectangular?

Friday

Reefing newb
Hey guys,

I wanted your opinions on square or rectangular tanks. Not sure on which to decide on to be honest.

I know the rectangular ones are great for water flow and such, but nearly all of them have a 18" width, so there really isn't room for the fish to swim back and forth and more rather side-to-side.

Square tanks are a bit more spacious I'd say but require more water flow I'd think.

Anyway, what are your opinions on the two shapes, anything significant that one should know between the two?

Thanks.

I think a rectangular would be better for the swimming length. And back and forth vs side to side are really the same thing.

I guess what I was getting at was they can swim side-to-side and back and forth rather than only one direction. :p

You're right though, more swimming distance with a rectangular tank.

Thanks, I appreciate your reply. :)

Unless you get a 4x4 or 6x6 foot tank :) My ultimate tank would be a 6x6 foot tank that way there's some depth when you're looking into it and fish have plenty of swimming room in any direction.

I'd have to go measure again to double check, but my 150 is four feet long and (I think) two feet and a little wide.

I think it depends on where you wanna place it, and what you want out of the tank itself astetically. If you plan on placing the tank so you can view it from all sides, a cube like the one D2mini has is the way to go. If your plan is to place it against or in a wall then the rectangular is the way to go.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. :)

I think I'm just going to stick with rectangular then, fits better around the house too. Unless I make it a centerpiece :p

Back