Stafish Carnage!

Bifferwine

I am a girl
Here are some pics of the starfish massacre that my recent kalk overdose caused. All of these guys jumped out of the rocks and ended up on the sandbed. It's like the Brittle Holocaust in my tank! (Glass is clouded up from the overdose, still. Sorry.)

IMG_3875.jpg

IMG_3876.jpg

IMG_3878.jpg

Ouch Biff! Sorry you have been having such a run of bad luck.

On a positive note, I am learning a lot reading the threads. :)

I know. When I first saw them, NDB said, "Aren't you going to take them out?" Well, there were only a couple on the sandbed at that point. I said, "Nah. They're small. There are only a few of them. It won't matter." Now that there are possibly hundreds, I'm thinking I'll be on starfish body removal duty tonight.

Were you trying to breed them along with your fish?? Where did they all come from??? Good grief! That's a shame. :(

I'm interested to know the exact chemistry that killed them. They must be particularly sensitive too high alk, calcium or Ph.

The clam isn't looking so hot today... And the corals that were hurting still look like crap. I'm making more water to do another water change tomorrow. This sucks so bad. There's nothing I can do but sit back and watch the stuff in my tank slowly die.

That reminds of the documentary on the Discovery channel.Where all the brittle seastars were running(well,in there own way) away from a Crown of Thorns seastar.

Freaky deeky!

I never saw anything like that before. That's a bummer. Water changes are probably the best thing you can do now.

Yep. It sucks. I have another 30 gallons ready to go for another water change today. I'm sticking to about 30 gallons at a time (the whole system is probably about 150 gallons).

"Kalk Overdose" in the Water Chemistry forum. It has been a sad, sad week in my house.

Biff - Hopefully things will start perking up after this next WC. And thank you for sharing. It does help those of us that are new see what can happen and how to handle it. Your posts are always great about teaching as well.

That picture kind of reminds me of the disney movie about lemmings jumping off a cliff. But that is the most brittle starfish I have seen in one location. Hopefully everything will stabilize soon!

Back