Stand Build

Adam Picard

Reefing newb
Hello,

So I decided I'm going to build a stand for my first tank as this way it will help save me some cash in expenses. Ill post some picks of the design and the build as I go.

I was just wondering what would you guys recomend using for finishing the top (where the tank will sit) and the sides/doors before I get into cutting the wood.

Adam

I chose to do the same thing for my 75 gallon tank. I used 2x4's with 3/4" plywood for the top and bottom shelf and then used a good quality oak plywood for the front facing. In the area where the tank sits I left the ply wood exposed and then used the oak plywood to cover the areas around the tank. I am thinking about adding a 1/4" foam pad under the tank so that the bottom of the tank is firmly seated and level. I also pre-stained the oak plywood before I tacked it into place to keep the smell down in the house LOL. You can see my design here https://www.livingreefs.com/75-gallon-reef-tank-build-scratch-t36453.html. I found that google sketch up was a good design tool that helped me picture what my design would look like and what dimensions of material I needed. Good Luck with your build.

So just a quick update got all my wood purchased and started making some cuts will post pics tomorrow if the weather is permiting for me to finish my final cuts

Just thought I would pass on my dementions to start off. The stand will be holding a 65gal tank, the top of the stand is 50" x 14" with a total stand hight of 40".

There is a lower shelf built into it at 44" x 8"

I may have to do some modifying to the bottom shelf tho.

I used mostly screws on mine. I used 16 penney nails only on the braces and it is rock solid. I am curious though about the height. I am in no way an expert but 40" seems a little high. Maybe its because I am only 5' 9"!

So I modified the height to 36" total........here are some pics of what I got done today.

top.jpg

legs.jpg

bottom.jpg

Looks good so far!! Can't wait to see how it turns out. By the way, what type of plywood/sheathing material did you decide to use for the front and top?

Ok so its full assembled minus the side and front panels will work on those after the tank is up and running, Will be putting a clear coat on tomorrow after the stair dries over night tonight.

Looks good so far!! Can't wait to see how it turns out. By the way, what type of plywood/sheathing material did you decide to use for the front and top?

I used 1/2" plywood for the top and sheeted it with 1/8" Venier plywould.(I think thats what its called lol cost me $20 a sheet) all of it is stained With a dark stain and will be clear coated tonight.

Back