star fish outbreak in the 55gal aaaaghhhhh

garydm

Reefing newb
well I guess the latest addition to my tank was carrying some free loaders.... there was about 5 or six tiny starfish on my front glass greeting me this morning.....I’ve hear good and bad things about these critters......good thing is they eat coralline and leave the rock open and pores and the bad thing is they eat coralline and multiply like crazy...Ive decided that I want the out so do I just pick them out or is there a kill for them

I know the harlequin shrimp eats starfish. But that is all it eats. And it wont discriminate from the little Asterinas or any other star in your tank.

I just pick them out when ever I see them. I know I have a couple in my tank. They arent plague proportions yet but If I keep picking them out, they shouldnt get to it.

They are called asterina. The ones with a bluish spot will eat your coralline. I've picked them out with tweezers before they get bad.

I have tons. I used to try to pick them out but gave up when I realized my actions were like fartin' in a windstorm -- it aint' doin' no good (TM Yote)!

I've got a few of em in my tank too.But they stay moctly in the overflows.Every once in a while I'll find one on the glass.
I usually dont worry about picking them out,but one or 2 will always get sucked up when I do my water changes.

They are asternias and are OK. I have many in my tank. They help to get rid of trash on the glass.

100_0616.JPG

I had plague numbers and added a harlequin shrimp. They do a really good job at taking care of them and are really cool looking creatures. If you dont want them, you better start pickin them out now.

Back