star polyps not opening : /

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
I picked up a small frag of this stuff from my LFS. It was opened up there, but there wasn't a whole lot of them. I brought it home and stuck it in some shade but it's not opening. Now 5 or so days from then it still hasn't opened. I've tried putting it in some different light areas, but nada.

It's still nice and squishy and a pretty purple..but getting worried about the coral.

So: Tried different areas with different amounts of light and flow...anything else I can do?

I assume all of your other corals are doing just fine? Sometimes I have had star polyps close and stay closed for 1 1/2 weeks. They are unpredictable, but will probably be okay, providing everything else is doing well. Do you have any crabs or fish that could be picking on them during the night?

I assume all of your other corals are doing just fine? Sometimes I have had star polyps close and stay closed for 1 1/2 weeks. They are unpredictable, but will probably be okay, providing everything else is doing well. Do you have any crabs or fish that could be picking on them during the night?

Yeah, all other coral are doing great! I have hermits and other fish, but none of them are messing with it as far as I can tell. It looks the same as it did when I bough it, aside from the polyps being nice and hidden. Hopefully it'll open back up soon. Really want it to take over this rock I have.

Give them a little more time. Some of mine get an attitude every once in a while and don't open for days, and then they open and get 1/2 in. long. Mine like a pretty good flow on them also

+1 Rookie
GSP will do that sometimes.They'll look great then they'll stay closed for for a few day.I've seen stay closed for close to a week.

yeah, usually they'll open up after that long.
Maybe they're too high up in the tank and the MH is bothering them? Not sure....
I'm wondering that as well. I put them in some shade for 3 or 4 days and nothing...but I can try that again. Won't really hurt at this point.

Our GSPs closed up for almost 2 weeks after they had been happy and healthy for probably 2 months. After about a week of being closed I blew some of the debris and other "dust-like" particles off the purple mat gently with a turkey baster then a few days later I brushed them with lightly with a soft toothbrush. A couple days after that they opened back up and were even brighter and bigger than they were and have been happy since. Idk if what I did had much of an effect on them but coincidently they came out pretty soon afterwards! Hope this helps!

Back