Star Polyps Propagation

dankolle

Reefing newb
I have a 2" x 4" rock with a very healthy star polyp colony on it. I am wondering if I can "cut" off some of the ones that are growing over the edge and move it t another part of my tank to start a second colony?

I have never done this before so if anyone has advice I would love to hear it!

You sure can Cut it or scrape a piece off and super glue (gel) it to a piece of rubble rock, clam shell or whatever you want. Just watch it as it grows. It has a tendency to take over areas if not trimmed back

you'll be better off if you can get a piece with at least 4 polyps on it...any smaller, it has a chance of not making it.

I just did this with some star polyps last weekend. Wait until they are fully retracted. Take a sharp blade and carefully cut between the polyps. I then took rock out of the tank, blotted it, and glued the cut piece on the rock. Star polyps can grow like crazy -you sure you want to do this?

My goal is to have no exposed rock, and wherever there isn't another type of coral, some form of GSP.

I have 4 colors of star polyp in my tank and I love the look.

Just keep in mind that that rock you are covering all up is also a big part of your filtering. I would shot for 50% exposed to start :D

Just keep in mind that that rock you are covering all up is also a big part of your filtering. I would shot for 50% exposed to start :D

I disagree - the polyps covering the rock shouldn't hurt its filtering ability. Good reef rock is so porous that water/bacteria/organisms should be able to get into it from the sides/bottom where the coral isn't covering it.

Back