Starfish ID: Reef Safe??

AdeptMrSniffles

I have a Blue Thumb
Alrighty peeps! Throwing this pic of a starfish my g/f found on her walk today. She'd like to add it to our tank but it's goin back in the gulf if it's going to snack on my coral! Here's a pic:
DSCN5968.jpg

We're on the Florida Gulf Coast in between St.Petersburg and Sarasota. Maybe that location can help. I've tried looking for gulf coast species but all thats being returned in BS. Thanks for any IDs!

Also: A pic of a sunset.
DSCN5879.jpg
Ya, your jealous!

And a pic of me :)
DSCN5965.jpg
I know I'm handsome. But I'm taken by my lovely g/f!

It looks like a fromia to me. But I would suggest that you put it back in the ocean. Your tank will probably not sustain it and it will eventually die. Most starfish that don't eat coral eat sponges and algaes that we can't provide for them.

It looks like a fromia to me. But I would suggest that you put it back in the ocean. Your tank will probably not sustain it and it will eventually die. Most starfish that don't eat coral eat sponges and algaes that we can't provide for them.

+1

awesome advice!

looks like a sandsifting star, I would put it back, they generally starve in our tanks.

You will have much better luck by starting a new post than resurrecting this very very old, dead thread

Back