starfish

wavemaster

Reefing newb
How long do starfish usually live in the aquarium? I have had a chocolate star live in my biocube 29 for 8 months before it died. Could my blood shrimp have harmed it? Anybody have any success keeping starfish in 29 gallon tank?

Starfish are expert only, and require an extremely stable system with excellent water parameters. I highly doubt your blood shrimp harmed it. Starfish can live for years in a pristine system, but will die in minutes in anything less.

If it wasn't the blood shrimp, It must have been a food issue. No water quality issues. I was told the starfish would take care of itself for food. Been feeding brine shrimp to the aquarium.

Brine shrimp has nearly zero nutrients, you really should use a more nutritious food, such as mysis. Also when you say no water quality issues, what are your nitrates at? Even small amounts can be fatal to starfish, especially in a tank of your size.

They can get really big so that are definitely not recommended for a nano, which means its possible he wasn't getting enough food.
They are more sensitive to water quality and they are not considered reef safe. Is your tank FOWLR?

I would look into a serpent or brittle star for your nano. They are easier to keep and good scavengers. A welcome addition to any reef tank.

They can get really big so that are definitely not recommended for a nano, which means its possible he wasn't getting enough food.
They are more sensitive to water quality and they are not considered reef safe. Is your tank FOWLR?

I would look into a serpent or brittle star for your nano. They are easier to keep and good scavengers. A welcome addition to any reef tank.

I do have a reef with 2 black and white clowns, a blue/green Chromis, and a blood shrimp. When I bought the starfish, I was told it was reef safe. It was a chocolate starfish, not the chocolate chip starfish. Never noticed any damage to my corals over the 8 months I had it. It slowly died a few weeks ago and all other livestock in tank is doing great. How do you feed a starfish? I mainly use Hikari brine shrimp but sometimes will use mysis.
Thanks

Ah, i am thinking chocolate chip. Not sure what a chocolate starfish is. Other than slang for something completely different. ;)

Back