Starry Blenny "panting"

SrBlonde

Reefing newb
I got the blenny about 2 weeks ago. He has been active with the other tank mates. I have seen him eat from the rocks and brine shrimp. Tonight at feeding time I saw him on a rock "panting". His mouth is open and looks like he is gasping. I quickly moved him to a quarantine tank. He let me pick him up! I am really worried what is wrong. Does anybody have an idea? Is it starvation?

Have you check your water? How many fish do you have? how often do you feed? What type of filtration do you have? Need more information...

I just had my water checked yesterday at my LFS to make sure I was testing right. He said everything looked good. There are 6 other fish in with him. I have a protein skimmer in a 20 gallon sump. The water goes thru 2 filters and by carbon before it gets to the protein skimmer. I do have some red slime I have been working on getting rid of. I feed once a day right now based on advice from LFS due to red slime. All other fish are looking great. I have not added any algae or herbivore food to the tank since I got him.

I just looked at him and he is leaning a little to the side. I am worried he's not gonna make it the night.

He has white spots naturally, so I can't tell if he has ICH spots. None of the other fish have spots.

Hmmm....well first off...I will use my lfs to check just to confirm my readings. I love my lfs but you still have to remember they are wanting to make money from you. That being said, I would think maybe a tank mate has been hassling him. 7 fish in a 45 is really overstocked. Max in my 45 will be 5 fish. Think one fish for 10 gallons. I feed my tank every other day. Red slime algae is a good indication that you have something in the water. Nitrates, phosphates..something is feeding it. Having the algae in the tank will mask whatever it is eating on a test. As far as the sick fish, I am sorry to say but I think you are correct and he wont make it through the night. Fish can and do get harassed to death by tank mates. I wish I could give you a magical cure for the fish but I cant. Sometime even with the best care and best water quality they die. I hope I am wrong and he pulls through...if it was my tank I would feed less and stop adding fish you are pushing your limit already.

I had a lawnmower benny die when I got back from vacation. Left the lights off and it killed all the algae in the tank which was nice, but it starved him to death. He was rail thin except his head and he was also gasping for air. Lets just say the annomoe ate good that day.

I appreciate the info guys! My starry did not make it. I have been working on getting my nitrates and phosphates under control. It's definitely getting there.

Thanks for sharing the info! I think it may have been a combination of being picked on and food. I just must learn and move on.

Back