stars in new tank

sluggerdood

Reefing newb
i just started two tanks about a week ago a 10 gallon nano and a 55 gallon , i added LR and a couple hours later there were three small star fish on the side of the 55 g. The nano i have has cleaner water should i move them to the nano or should i give them away or what?sorry about spelling and punctuation.

They sound like Asternia Starfish. Most likely came in as hitch hikers on your rock. Most people including myself pull them out and flush/toss them. They can be a PITA, and can multiple super quickly if not kept in check.

yeah sound like asternia stars ive never taken them out , if your tank is cycling they will dissapear on their own , they can prob be a pita if it were already establishe but in a new tank i wouldnt worry about them

this is from my experience take it as a grain of salt

Harlequin shrimp will wipe them out, but once they are gone u gotta feed the harlequin a starfish once a month....also those lil stars eat coraline.My harlequin had my reef clean in about 2 weeks. Havent seen one since....well till i looked at my mantis tank lol

I have asterina but I am so diligent about pulling them out the instant I see one that they are not a problem. I see one now about once every 3 months. Use tweezers to pull them out.

Are they a problem. Generally not.; They will eat coralline and if they really go unchecked they might cover your corals and deprive them of light but that is rare.

Back