Start of my DIY 75g Tank and Stand

lilman446

Where am I? Oh there I am
:^:Ok here goes here of some pics for where I am so far. I am so excited but i guess the tank drilling will wait till this weekend since I am gonna be havin an outpatient surgery tommarow. Here is pics so far looking promising. Sorry for the crappy pics better ones later when its daylight now all i have to do is get the wood for the front and sides get the doors and put the base in and silicone and waterproof the inside (Dang thats alot of work)

Attachments

• wood for base.jpg
    wood for base.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 670
  • Finished for now.jpg
    Finished for now.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 7,864
  • Base is started.jpg
    Base is started.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 729
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 22,366
Last edited:
Gonna skin it with pine and stain it to match my other furniture in the room. Gonna pick that up this weekend and get it skinned and hopefully get the tank drilled with a hopefully good outcome

I hear ya there! Taking it nice and slow been going on 3 months in planning and reading and all that good stuff and going step by step as i know in the end it will pay off for going slowly and with all the great help here at LR how can anyone go wrong unless they just plain dont pay attention to what everyone tells em :bowdown:

Nice and overkill. I like the design. You could put a 110 gal tank on that beast. I was thinking you may want to add a diagonal brace to prevent twisting but the 4x4's should prevent that.

HEHE... Yeah it is a little overkill but you know how it is when you get a plan in mind you always gotta beef it up :) I deffinatly wont worry about that 75g on this one.

Looks good so far!
And ya, overkill is good. I was paranoid when I was building mine and then filled the tank for the first time. :yikesu:

Looking good. Its looks plenty strong. Im almost done building my 75 gallon stand, i got a build thread in the tank showcase forum if you want to check it out. Ill be following along. Great job though

I'm considering building a new stand for my 75, i'm just realy not happy with the idea of particle board holding up 600+lbs... not to mention that theres no room under it for anything...

I can build the stand, its the moving of the tank that i'm not sure how to go about.. My tank is a moved system, about 2 weeks ago.. so its not fully up and stabilized yet....

The more you have the better! I would hate to build somthing like that and have it fall apart beauuse it couldnt handle the weight! Good job it looks nice, just make sure it has alot of support to handle that kind of wait!

I'm considering building a new stand for my 75, i'm just realy not happy with the idea of particle board holding up 600+lbs... not to mention that theres no room under it for anything...

I can build the stand, its the moving of the tank that i'm not sure how to go about.. My tank is a moved system, about 2 weeks ago.. so its not fully up and stabilized yet....

Yeah particle board would be kinda scary in a 75 expecially with the full water weight of a 75 being 800 lbs and more with the LS and LR :shock:

oak is a beautifull wood, but my house has more lighter colored woods, so i can probably go with some cheaper pine ply and just slather it in poly... comes out a nice golden color..

Ok next Noobi Question. I have an nice size overflow box for the inside of the tank just laying around. For ultimate skimming to sump what do you guys think about using the overflow box after I drill the tank tonight or should i just use a 90 elbow and strainer in the tank instead. I am planning on doin 1 overflow and 2 returns one on left one on the right and the overflow in the middle. Need some input on this one. i will be going with a magdrive 7 i just ordered and will be here in 3-5 days for return from my sump.

YaY all 3 holes drilled after the first one it was like a walk in the park 45 mins and all 3 holes are done done done :^:

Attachments

• Building SW Tank 001.jpg
    Building SW Tank 001.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 442
  • Building SW Tank 002.jpg
    Building SW Tank 002.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 402
  • Building SW Tank 003.jpg
    Building SW Tank 003.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 409
  • Building SW Tank 004.jpg
    Building SW Tank 004.jpg